Renovating a water heater
Time to upgrade your water heater? Upgrade to an electric heat pump water heater. These water heaters heat the water by capturing warmth from your home's ambient air. An ENERGY STAR© certified heat pump water heater uses an average of 50% less energy than a standard electrical water heater. Saving energy saves money and reduces your carbon footprint.
Rebates for water heaters
|Electric heat pump water heater||$1,000|
Looking for rebates on natural gas water heating systems? Visit fortisbc.com/homerebates.
Make sure your upgrade is eligible
- Eligible electric heat pump water heaters are listed in Tier 2 or higher on NEEA's Advanced Water Heater Specification Qualified Products List for Heat Pump Water Heaters.
- Replacement of an existing electric heat pump water heater is not eligible for a rebate.
- Emergency replacement of broken electrical water heaters is not eligible.
- The existing water heater being replaced must be the primary water heater (if the home uses more than one water heater).
- The electric heat pump water heater installed must be new, in good working order, not previously installed in another home or building.
- The upgrades need to be completed by a licensed contractor with a valid B.C. business license for the relevant work and a GST number.
Have you made sure your home is eligible? Get all the details about eligibility.
Application deadline and required documents
You must submit your rebate application and all supporting documentation within six months of the invoice date.
The only supporting document required for our insulation rebate is the invoice. Make sure the invoice meets all the requirements, outlined in our water heating sample invoice [PDF, 110 KB].
Bundle your upgrades to get $300-$2000 bonus
If you complete two or more eligible upgrades, you may qualify for bonus offers of up to $2,000. Learn more about how bonus rebates work.
|Two Upgrade Bonus||Install any two eligible upgrades within 18 months and receive a $300 bonus.|
|Home Energy Improvement Bonus|
|EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate||