Protect your electronics
Safeguard your electrical devices by planning ahead
Modern electronic equipment is sensitive to power fluctuations. And while some devices include a degree of built-in protection, you can also purchase items that will help protect your equipment from damage due to things like power surges, faulty wiring, or improper grounding.
You can protect your electronics by:
- Limiting the number of devices connected to a single outlet.
- Using a dedicated circuit for sensitive electronic equipment; avoid plugging your computer into the same circuit that runs your air conditioner, for example.
- Ensuring that the wiring in your house is properly grounded. If your lights dim or circuit breakers trip or fuses burn out frequently, you should contact a licensed electrician.
- Using three-pronged plugs whenever possible and wherever appropriate.
- Unplugging sensitive electronic devices, during electrical storms.
- Installing a surge suppressor or an uninterruptible power supply (with surge suppression) for your sensitive devices.