Statement of Indigenous Principles
10 principles drive BC Hydro's commitment
BC Hydro exists to serve British Columbians by providing clean, reliable and affordable electricity. We recognize that maintaining and developing the system has impacts on the lives and interests of Indigenous People.
To support our move towards true and lasting reconciliation with Indigenous People, BC Hydro will acknowledge past wrongs, listen to Indigenous perspectives and seek shared understanding with First Nations communities and governments.
View the printable Statement of Indigenous Principles [PDF, 58 KB], or see the 10 principles below.
Through our Statement of Indigenous Principles, we commit that:
- We will always operate safely and protect the safety of individuals.
- We will inform First Nations communities, to the best of our ability, of our multi-year planning, identifying potential projects and works as early as possible for discussion.
- We will strive to provide the most clear, accessible and transparent information possible.
- We will seek advice on Indigenous perspectives on how to best reduce or avoid impacts on the environment, cultural heritage and social needs.
- We will be accessible and open to understanding the unique interests of Indigenous Peoples in relation to our operations.
- We will respect that our perspectives may be based on different world views.
- We will seek opportunities for meaningful benefit with First Nation communities as we refurbish existing facilities and assets, build new infrastructure or undertake work.
- We will seek solutions to improving the accessibility of clean reliable and affordable power to First Nations communities in remote areas of the province.
- We will support Indigenous candidates to succeed in gaining employment with BC Hydro and to increasingly become a part of our workforce.
- We will deliver on our commitments and we will be open and transparent if something is standing in the way of our mutual success.
About our commitment
BC Hydro is sincere in its commitment to ensure these principles are understood and acted upon by everyone in our organization, including contractors.