Community ReGreening program
The application intake for 2022 grant funding closed on February 28, 2022. All applicants will be notified of funding decisions by email in approximately four to six weeks.
Funding for community planting projects
Our Community ReGreening program supports the planting of trees and other vegetation that help enhance ecological networks across the province. The program also helps to ensure the right trees are planted near our power lines.
Our ReGreening grants fund small-scale community planting projects and are open to all municipal and Indigenous Nations’ governments within BC Hydro’s service area.
What are the benefits of regreening?
We fund planting projects to help:
- Enhance open spaces
- Restore and improve urban canopies
- Diversify and enhance urban forests
- Beautify parks and outdoor recreation areas
- Create natural habitats
- Bring the community together and support environmental action
About the program
We provide financial support up to $7,500 per applicant to purchase trees and other vegetation for small-scale community planting projects.
We help fund the purchase of plants and other vegetation and shipping costs when appropriate. Applicants are responsible for arranging labour and ongoing maintenance of their project. Grant funding is awarded to the applicant after the successful completion of the project and the final report is approved.
We’ve expanded our program to include funding for a wider variety of projects including:
- Street or park trees that don’t interfere with electrical equipment
- Trees and other vegetation for habitat restoration or enhancement
- Plants for pollinator gardens
- Plants of cultural significance to Indigenous Nations (qualifying plants are at the discretion of the applying Nation, so long as plants’ mature height meet our requirements if planted in proximity to power lines)
We can’t accept applications for projects that:
- Are outside BC Hydro’s service area
- Are already underway
- Benefit an individual, private organization, or company
- Are used for commercial purposes
- Purchasing cost of trees and other vegetation
- Shipping costs, in some cases, when appropriate
Applications are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- The landscaping plan including the type of vegetation
- The project profile, visibility, and community support
- The benefits of the project such as recreation, wildlife habitat restoration or site beautification
- Educational opportunities to share information about environmental benefits of trees and vegetation
- The overall site and implementation plan or land dedication
- Sustainability and ongoing maintenance of vegetation
- Other funding and community partners involved
- Preference will be given to trees and vegetation that are native to B.C.
Important: If planting near power lines, preference will be given to plant species native to B.C. that meet our height and distance restrictions.
Who can apply?
Municipal governments and Indigenous Nations within BC Hydro’s service area are eligible to apply.
There is a limit of one grant per applicant, per year.
Application deadline and required documents
The application intake for 2022 grant funding closed on February 28, 2022. All applicants will be notified of funding decisions by email in approximately four to six weeks. Come back in November for updates on next year’s funding cycle.
With your application you’ll need to include:
- A site plan that shows the proposed planting for your project. We accept plans drawn on a civic map or Google map.
- Nursery pricing quote(s) for purchasing vegetation.
- A letter of permission from the property owner as required based on land ownership.
Applicants selected for grant funding can complete the project in any way they choose (working in partnership with local community group(s) or other) but the applicant is required to:
- Agree and adhere to the program terms and conditions
- Submit a final report upon completion of the project that includes:
- Project photos, before and after planting
- Vegetation supplier invoice(s)
- Official invoice from applicant’s finance department for the approved grant amount
Once all program requirements are met and the final report is approved, grant payment will be processed and released to the applicant.
The deadline to submit final reports is December 31, 2022.