Powering a clean, sustainable future
BC Hydro is a Crown corporation, owned by the government and people of British Columbia. We generate and deliver electricity to 95% of the population of B.C. and serve over four million people. That's a big responsibility that demands a simple, clear and straightforward mission with a clear vision that's guided by our values.
See our service area map [PDF, 176.3 KB]
We’re here to safely provide our customers with reliable, affordable, clean electricity.
Our vision celebrates our clean energy advantage and our environmental stewardship role in B.C. Sustainability is about making the best choices with available resources, which means leveraging our clean electricity for all British Columbians.
These values define our culture and guide our approach to powering the province:
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We act with integrity and respect.
- We are one team.
- We are forward thinking
- We include everyone.
Governance & mandate
As a Provincial Crown corporation, the owner and sole shareholder of BC Hydro is the Province of British Columbia.
See our 2021/2022 Government Mandate Letter [PDF, 376 KB]
We report through the Ministry of Energy, Mines, and Low Carbon Innovation. Four key pieces of legislation – including the Clean Energy Act – combine to provide:
- A mandate to generate, manufacture, conserve, supply, acquire, and dispose of power and related products
- Regulatory power to the B.C. Utilities Commission (BCUC), to ensure our customers receive safe, reliable and non-discriminatory energy services at fair rates
- A reasonable opportunity to the shareholder (Province of B.C.) to earn a fair return on its invested capital.
- The Act also ensures public ownership of our heritage resources, which include BC Hydro's transmission and distribution systems, and all of our existing generation and storage assets.