Powering a clean, sustainable future
BC Hydro is a provincial Crown corporation, owned by the government and people of British Columbia, Canada. We generate and deliver electricity to 95% of the population of B.C. and serve over four million people. That's a big responsibility that demands a simple, clear and straightforward mission with a clear vision that's guided by our values.
See our service area map [PDF, 176.3 KB]
We’re here to safely provide our customers with reliable, affordable, clean electricity.
A cleaner more sustainable future for all British Columbians.
These values define our culture and guide our approach to powering the province:
- We are safe.
- We are here for our customers.
- We act with integrity and respect.
- We are one team.
- We are forward thinking
- We include everyone.
Governance & mandate
As a Provincial Crown corporation, the owner and sole shareholder of BC Hydro is the Province of British Columbia.
See our 2021/2022 Government Mandate Letter [PDF, 376 KB]
We report through the Ministry of Energy, Mines, and Low Carbon Innovation. Four key pieces of legislation – including the Clean Energy Act – combine to provide:
- A mandate to generate, manufacture, conserve, supply, acquire, and dispose of power and related products
- Regulatory power to the B.C. Utilities Commission (BCUC), to ensure our customers receive safe, reliable and non-discriminatory energy services at fair rates
- A reasonable opportunity to the shareholder (Province of B.C.) to earn a fair return on its invested capital.
- The Act also ensures public ownership of our heritage resources, which include BC Hydro's transmission and distribution systems, and all of our existing generation and storage assets.