Safety information for contractors
Safety requirements essential for contractors
The information on this page is for prospective BC Hydro contractors who plan to bid for work.
Are you a prospective or current BC Hydro contractor?
Contractors who are working for or who intend to work for BC Hydro must be compliant with WorkSafeBC and other relevant legislative and regulatory practices.
As a contractor working for BC Hydro, you must be fully aware of the high risk work activities that carry the greatest threat of serious injury or death.
Current BC Hydro contractors
If you're already working for BC Hydro under a contract, you must ensure you're accessing the most recent, detailed information available via our contractor Safety Extranet. Extranet access will be arranged by your BC Hydro representative once work has been awarded.
Alcohol & drug policy for contractors performing work at or for BC Hydro
- BC Hydro Alcohol & Drug Policy Requirements [PDF, 533 KB]
- BC Hydro Alcohol & Drug Testing Information Sheet [PDF, 314 KB]
Contractor COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement (Policy Terminated)
This Contractor COVID-19 Vaccination Policy is terminated as of April 17, 2023. Please contact your BC Hydro contract representative if you have any questions.
Note: Some Indigenous communities and third-party sites may still require proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Contractors are responsible for adhering to the requirements if asked to work at these locations.
If you're a prospective contractor bidding for work with BC Hydro, please refer to the Certificate of Recognition (COR) [PDF, 263 KB] requirements and safety information below, including the Life Saving Rules briefing package for contractors. The information highlights the importance of safety at BC Hydro and the safety requirements that must be observed.
Contractors working for BC Hydro are responsible to work to the expectations specified in their contract, including adherence to BC Hydro rules and standards.
Our most current safety policies and procedures can be found on the Safety Extranet, a password-protected area that's available once a contract is awarded.
Here are some examples of our primary safety information:
- Life Saving Rules
- Life Saving Rules briefing package
- Safety Practice Regulations (2020 edition)
- Power System Safety Protection 1T-12 (2016 edition)
- Occupational Safety and Health Standards
Note: Our most current safety information including policies and procedures can be found on our contractor Safety Extranet once a contract is awarded.
The 9 Life Saving Rules [PDF, 408 KB] has been developed that clearly defines what you must do to prevent serious injuries or fatalities. The rules are not new – they are designed to raise awareness around existing rules in the Safety Practice Regulations, OSH Standards and other safety regulations.
Life Saving Rules clearly define how to prevent serious injuries
A set of Life Saving Rules has been developed that clearly defines what you must do to prevent serious injuries or fatalities. The rules are not new – they are designed to raise awareness around existing rules in the Safety Practice Regulations, OSH Standards and other safety regulations.
Jointly endorsed by BC Hydro and its unions (IBEW and MoveUP), the rules have been developed with input from the workforce to ensure they are meaningful and practical to workers.
For easy access to Life Saving Rules briefing materials, we have downloadable documents, presentation and other resources available on this page.
How to use the Life Saving Rules
The Life Saving Rules have been incorporated into BC Hydro's Safety Practice Regulations, and we expect all contractors and employees to follow these rules.
All current and new contractors who have been awarded work with BC Hydro will need to ensure that their staff and subcontractors are briefed about the rules.
BC Hydro contractors are encouraged to use the Life Saving Rules briefing package, which is available for download below.
This briefing package is for current BC Hydro contractors.
- Instructions [PDF, 354 KB]
- Life Saving Rules Video [MP4, 16.5 MB]
- Presentation Slide Pack [PDF, 511 KB]
- Life Saving Rules Letter for Contractors [PDF, 511 KB]
- Life Saving Rules Commitment [PDF, 479 KB]
- Life Saving Rules Reference Document [PDF, 547 KB]
- FAQs [PDF, 393 KB]
- Life Saving Rules Poster (for letter size & 11x17 inches) [PDF, 408 KB]
- Life Saving Rules Signage (for 24x36 inch fence or site signage) [PDF, 930 KB]
Briefing materials & additional information
- Life Saving Rules Briefing Package [ZIP, 18.5 MB] (Support resources excluded)
These regulations and instructions govern all work done by or for BC Hydro and all access to our power system. Every worker must observe all rules that apply to his or her particular job and worksite.
- 2020 Safety Practice Regulations (Updated November 2023) [PDF, 2.2 MB]
The 1T-12 series of operating orders specify requirements for consistent application of safety protection on BC Hydro's transmission and distribution power system.
- Power System Safety Protection 2016 – System Operating Order 1T-12 (Revised November 2021) [PDF, 984 KB]
PSSP and Worker Protection Practices (WPP) Student Guides
- SAFE MGMT 110 PSSP CAT 2 WPP CAT A [PDF, 3.7 MB]
- SAFE MGMT 111 PSSP CAT 3 Part 1 WPP CAT B Part 1 [PDF, 1.5 MB]
- SAFE MGMT 112 WPP CAT B Part 2 [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- SAFE MGMT 113 PSSP CAT 3 Part 2 [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- SAFE MGMT 114 PSSP CAT 4 [PDF, 999 KB]
- SAFE-MGMT 115 PSSP CAT 5 [PDF, 837 KB]
- PSSP DBC [PDF, 2.9 MB]
- PSSP STC [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- PSSP TXC [PDF, 6.0 MB]
These standards cover expectations for managing safety. They complement and reinforce existing safety legislation, including WorkSafeBC's Occupational Health and Safety regulations.
The OSH standards are applied in conjunction with the above Safety Practice Regulations. It's expected that contractors working for BC Hydro will meet the performance expectations expressed in the OSH standards.
Note that work procedures used by contractors to meet these OSH Standards are the responsibility of the contractor, but they must be acceptable to BC Hydro.
- BC Hydro's Occupational Safety & Health Standards for prospective contractors (Last updated February 23, 2022) [PDF, 3.2 MB]
BC Hydro disclaimer: BC Hydro does not accept any liability or responsibility of any kind arising from inappropriate use of any of our safety information.