Skip to content

Find a qualified contractor

Photo of a contractor at a door

Choosing the right contractor is a crucial first step towards starting a successful energy retrofit. A well-trained contractor will help you achieve your energy efficiency goals.

To be eligible for the Home Renovation Rebate Program, all upgrades must be installed by a licensed contractor with a GST number and a valid B.C. business license for the trade applicable to the upgrade being installed. For heat pump and insulation upgrades, additional contractor requirements apply as outlined below.

Installing insulation or a heat pump? Hire a registered contractor

If you're installing a heat pump or insulation, you'll need to select a contractor who has been registered with the relevant designation to be eligible for our rebates.

  • For heat pumps, hire a Home Performance Contractor Network member
  • For insulation, hire a Program Registered Contractor or a Home Performance Contractor member

For heat pumps, hire a Home Performance Contractor Network member

As of July 1, 2022, you need to hire a Home Performance Contractor Network (HPCN) member for your heat pump installation to be eligible for heat pump rebates.

If your installation invoice is dated before July 1, 2022, this requirement doesn't apply.

  • They've completed additional training in the house-as-a-system, heat loss and heat gain calculations, and the principles of moving air or residential ventilation training.
  • They've been in business in B.C. for a minimum of three years.
  • They're in good standing with WorkSafeBC, have up to date business license, general liability insurance, and standard warrantees.

The Home Performance Contractor Network is a managed list of skilled and knowledgeable contractors that install energy-efficient, lower-carbon home performance solutions for home renovations in B.C.

This retrofit contractor network is led by industry, for industry. The list is developed by the Home Performance Stakeholder Council.

Want to join the HPCN?

If you’re a contractor interested in joining the HPCN, review our resources for contractors.

Find an HPCN member


For insulation, hire a Program Registered Contractor or a Home Performance Contractor member

You need to hire a Program Registered Contractor (PRC) or a Home Performance Contractor (HPCN) for your insulation upgrade to be eligible for insulation rebates.

A registered contractor can help you identify the right product for your home, complete the installation according to best practices, and ensure your upgrade meets the requirements of our rebate program.

Program Registered Contractors (PRCs) have:

  • Completed additional air sealing and insulation best practice training.
  • Completed training on the Home Renovation Rebate Program and CleanBC Better Home rebates.
  • Registered with WorkSafeBC. Contractors have good standing with WorkSafeBC prior to becoming a Program Registered Contractor

After your upgrade work has been done, PRCs will always provide you with a completed quality installation summary. This summary is important as it outlines the details of the work performed, as well as any noteworthy observations.

BC Hydro and FortisBC have partnered to educate contractors on industry best practices for insulation installations, and on our programs. By completing the training and passing our review, they can become qualified as Program Registered Contractors.

Neither BC Hydro nor FortisBC represent or guarantee any of the work performed by the Program Registered Contractors and are simply offering training in order to better educate contractors.

Want to become a PRC?

If you’re a contractor interested in becoming a PRC, review our resources for contractors.

Find a PRC member


More contractor resources

If you are looking for a contractor for other types of upgrades, visit for tips on finding a contractor that is right for the job.