Home renovation rebates
When you're renovating, every dollar counts. You can get up to $10,000 in rebates for qualifying energy-efficient upgrades to the insulation, water heating, windows and space heating for your home.
Making energy-efficient upgrades won't just help you with reducing energy costs for years to come. You'll also benefit from increased home comfort, all year round. You can increase your savings and the efficiency of your home when you complete multiple upgrades.
Are your projects complete and you're ready to apply for your rebates?
To apply for home renovation rebates, you need to meet the program requirements. Make sure to review this criteria before beginning your home renovation project or submitting your application.
Upgrades need to be completed by a licensed contractor with a valid B.C. business licence for the relevant work.
To be eligible for rebates through the program, your home needs to be:
- Connected by a current residential account with BC Hydro or FortisBC. Electrically-heated homes served by local municipal utilities, such as New Westminster, within the service territories of BC Hydro or FortisBC are also eligible.
- A year-round, residential dwelling, including single-family detached homes, duplexes, row homes, townhouses (as long as each home has its own utility meter), or mobile homes on a permanent foundation with minimum 12 months utility billing history for that home.
Primary space heating
|Air source heat pump – Variable Speed Mini Split (single head installation) (HSPF ≥10, SEER ≥18)||$1,000|
|Air source heat pump – Varible Speed Multi Split (multi-head installation) (HSPF ≥9.3, SEER ≥16)||$1,000|
|Air source heat pump – Variable Speed Central System (HSPF ≥9.3, SEER≥16), "Tier 2"||$2,000|
|Electric heat pump water heater||$1,000|
|Natural gas 0.67 EF storage tank water heater||$200|
|Natural gas condensing tankless water heater||$1,000|
|Natural gas condensing storage tank water heater||$1,000|
Insulation and windows (building envelope)
|Attic insulation $0.02 x R-value added x sq ft
|Basement/crawlspace insulation $0.09 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,200|
|Exterior wall cavity insulation $0.09 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,200|
|Exterior wall sheathing insulation $0.09 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,200|
|Other insulation $0.07 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,000|
|Windows/doors: U-Factor 1.40 – 1.23 (W/m2-K)*||$50 per window or door, maximum rebate $1,000|
|Windows/doors: U-factor 1.22 (W/m2-K) or less||$100 per window or door, maximum rebate $2,000|
Secondary space heating
EnerChoice® fireplace upgrade: You can earn a rebate of $300 per fireplace. The EnerChoice model be installed by a gas contractor licenced with Technical Safety BC. See a list of the eligible models.
If you complete multiple eligible upgrades, you might qualify for bonus offers of up to $2,000.
You'll need to submit your form for the bonus offers within six (6) months of completing your first upgrade.
|Upgrade||Bonus rebate details|
|Two Upgrade Bonus||Install any two of the above upgrades within 18 months and receive a $300 bonus.|
|Home Energy Improvement Bonus||
Want to know more about an EnerGuide home evaluation?
EnerGuide home evaluations must be performed by an energy advisor who is registered to deliver home evaluations under Natural Resources Canada's (NRCan) EnerGuide Rating System, version 15 (ERS v15). See the list of program-qualified energy advisors.
How to get started
Energy coaches offer building science-based information about the options and opportunities to improve the energy efficiency of your home. An energy coach can answer your questions at all stages of your home renovation project.
All services are free of charge. The CleanBC Energy Coach hotline is funded by the Province of B.C.
Get in touch:
- CleanBC Energy Coach
- Phone: 1 844 881 9790 (toll free)
Using a registered contractor for your home renovation project can offer many benefits – and you'll be eligible for rebates.
There are many ways to start your search in finding a contractor – referrals from friends and family, local advertising, and online searches. BetterhomesBC.ca has some great tips on finding and retaining a contractor, including:
- Qualification and training
- A list of current Program Registered Contractors
- Questions to ask your contractor
- Contract tips
A reliable contractor helps you deliver your project on time and on budget. Don't forget to get multiple quotes.
Program Registered Contractor – Insulation
BC Hydro and FortisBC have partnered to educate insulation contractors on best business practices for applying insulation and the Home Renovation Rebates and CleanBC Efficiency Home Rebates requirements. Contractors that complete our training and requirements become "Program Registered Contractors". BC Hydro does not represent or guarantee any of the work performed by the Program Registered Contractors and is simply offering training in order to better educate contractors. Visit BetterhomesBC.ca to find one near you. You may select a contractor from this list, or select your own qualified contractor.
When applying for rebates you need to remember these key steps:
- Ensure your renovations meet our product eligibility requirements. Read the terms and conditions [PDF, 672 KB].
- You will need to submit your receipts/invoices.
- Read the invoice and supplemental information [PDF, 540 KB] requirements for details.
- Apply within six months of the upgrade invoice date.
Once you've completed one or more qualifying upgrade(s), you should apply for your rebates right away. Remember that all rebate applications must be within six (6) months of the invoice date.
For Bonus Offer applications: You can apply for each upgrade separately or you can apply for all upgrades all at once, as long as it is within six (6) months of the invoice date of the first upgrade.
Helpful documents and tips
- Your invoices and supporting info need to meet specific requirements. See the requirements for your invoices [PDF, 540 KB].
- Additional forms are required to support your application, particularly for the bonus offers. Download the forms and view requirements.
- We also want to ensure you submit invoices with all the required information about your upgrades. View these sample invoices for guidance.