Free product installation and energy coaching
COVID-19 safety precautions for in-home visits
After careful consideration, we've decided to resume select in-home visits for the ECAP program. We've implemented several new policies and procedures to protect the health and safety of our customers and contractors, including having program participants complete a COVID-19 pre-screening questionnaire before the home visit, maintaining a strict two metre distance, sanitizing areas in the home where products are installed, and conversing outside the home whenever possible.
Program participants with outstanding home visits will be contacted by a program contractor to re-schedule their appointment and will be provided with more detailed safety instructions. For inquiries about home visits or other program-related questions, email or call us.
Improve your home's comfort and save energy
If you live in an income-qualified household you could be eligible for free upgrades to help improve the comfort and efficiency of your home through the Energy Conservation Assistance Program.
Homeowners and renters that are a BC Hydro or City of New Westminster account holder living in a detached home, townhome, duplex or manufactured/mobile home and meet the income qualification are eligible to apply. Eligibility is based on the total household income, which includes the combined income of all members of the household over the age of 18.
Live in an apartment or condo? Apply for an energy saving kit.
How it works
- A program energy coach will visit your home to review your home's energy use with you.
- The energy coach will install energy saving products throughout your home, which may include LED bulbs, faucet aerators, high-efficiency showerheads, and door weatherstripping. Some homes may also qualify for an ENERGY STAR® refrigerator, insulation in their walls, attic, and/or crawlspace or a high-efficiency gas furnace.
- In order to qualify for a high-efficiency natural gas furnace upgrade, you must have an active FortisBC gas account.
- Manufactured/mobile homes are not currently eligible for high-efficiency gas furnace replacements or insulation upgrades.
- The energy coach will provide an overview of all the free products installed and will also offer personalized energy saving advice and tips to best fit your lifestyle and family's needs.
Kamloops resident has a warmer winter, thanks to free energy-efficient upgrades
Read how Lynn from Kamloops is enjoying a more comfortable and efficient home after her free home energy assessment and upgrades.
- Complete your application online, or by paper [PDF, 2.4 MB].
- Along with your application, you'll need to submit one copy of the following documents as proof of income for each member of your household over the age of 18. The documents must be dated within the last year.
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). To get your NOA, please contact the CRA at 1 800 959 8281. Ensure that all information on the NOA is blacked out except for your name, effective date, and line 150.
- Verification of income or disability assistance, e.g. your monthly report (cheque stub), or a printed copy of your Confirmation of Assistance if you're registered for My Self Serve.
- A Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) cheque stub, acknowledgement letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
- A Rental Assistance Program acknowledgment letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
- National Child Benefit Supplement notice from Canada Revenue Agency.
- Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) notice.
The following documents are not accepted as proof of income:
- Income Tax Summary
- T1 General
- BC Home Assessment
- If you rent your home, have your landlord complete a landlord consent form [PDF, 902 KB] and submit the form along with the rest of your application.
Mail your completed and signed application package to:
BC Hydro and FortisBC ECAP Operations
P.O. Box 8910 STN Terminal
Timelines for upgrades may vary. Service in rural and remote areas requires minimum participation levels.
The energy saving upgrades installed will be determined by the housing type and individual characteristics of each home.
|HOUSING TYPE||AVAILABLE UPGRADES YOU MAY RECEIVE
|Manufactured home / mobile home
For assistance with your application, or questions about your initial home visit, please contact our program partner It's On Electric at 1 855 560 3227.
If you've qualified for insulation and/or a high-efficiency furnace upgrade, and have questions about these upgrades or your next home visit, please contact our program partner Ecofitt at 1 833 455 9029.
Please note, for program quality assurance you may also receive a call from our program partner, Ecolighten.
If you have other inquiries, you can email us.
Program in partnership with