Upgrading insulation will help you save at least 10% of your home's energy cost and improve your home's comfort year 'round. When planning an insulation upgrade, you'll need to understand R-value, which is the measure of insulation's ability to slow the transfer of heat. Rebate amounts are calculated by the amount of R-value you're adding to your home.
Hear from a local homeowner
"We probably should have done this first, as we noticed the biggest improvement in our electric bills when we did the insulation." George Meikle, Qualicum Beach, B.C.
Rebates for insulation
|Attic insulation $0.02 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $900|
|Basement/crawlspace insulation $0.09 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,200|
|Exterior wall cavity insulation $0.09 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,200|
|Exterior wall sheathing insulation $0.09 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,200|
|Other insulation $0.07 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,000|
Registration for the Double the rebate promotion has ended.
If you have a promotion code, ensure your upgrades are completed and invoiced by March 31, 2021. Submit your rebate application along with the promo code within six months of your invoice date. Learn more about this offer on our Double the Rebate page.
Make sure your upgrade is eligible
- Batt, loose fill, board and spray foam are eligible insulation types.
- Insulation added must have a minimum R-value added per location outlined below:
|Insulation location||Min. R-Value of new insulation|
|Attic – flat and cathedral ceiling||R12|
|Exterior wall cavities||R12|
|Exterior wall sheathing||R3.8|
|Other (exposed floor, floor over crawlspace, basement header)||R20|
- Insulation must be installed in accordance with the Best Practice Guide Air Sealing and Insulation Retrofits for Single Family Homes.
- Rebates are calculated based on the R-value of new insulation added. In cases where pre-existing insulation was removed (e.g. due to pest infestation or mold), the rebate is calculated on the difference in R-value between the new and pre-existing insulation.
- Participants must resolve any pest infestations and rodent tunnels in the insulation prior to installation of new insulation. Presence of a pest infestation and/or rodent tunnels in the new insulation must be resolved to receive the rebate.
- All insulation installed must be new, in good working order, not previously installed in another home or building.
- The upgrades need to be completed by a licensed contractor with a valid B.C. business license for the relevant work and a GST number.
Have you made sure your home is eligible? Get all the details about eligibility.
Consider using a Program Registered Contractor for your upgrade. These contractors have received additional training on insulation best practices, and on our rebates.
Application deadline and required documents
You must submit your rebate application and all supporting documentation within six months of the invoice date.
The only supporting document required for our insulation rebate is the invoice. Make sure the invoice meets all the requirements, outlined in our insulation sample invoice [PDF, 113 KB].
Bundle your upgrades to get $300-$2000 bonus
If you complete two or more eligible upgrades, you may qualify for bonus offers of up to $2,000. Learn more about how bonus rebates work.
|Two Upgrade Bonus||Install any two eligible upgrades within 18 months and receive a $300 bonus.|
|Home Energy Improvement Bonus||
|EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate||