Home renovation rebates
Get up to $10,000 in rebates for energy-efficient upgrades to the insulation, windows, space and water heating.
Making energy-efficient upgrades won't just help you with reducing energy costs for years to come. You'll also benefit from increased home comfort, all year round. Your savings will go further when you make multiple upgrades and increase the efficiency of your home.
To be eligible for home renovation rebates:
- You must have a current residential account with BC Hydro or FortisBC. Electrically-heated homes served by local municipal utilities, such as New Westminster, within the service territories of BC Hydro or FortisBC are also eligible.
- You must have either a single-family detached home, duplex, row home, townhouse (with its own utility meter), or a mobile homes on a permanent foundation.
- The upgrades must be made at a year-round primary residence with a minimum of 12 months utility billing history.
- The upgrades need to be completed by a licensed contractor with a valid B.C. business licence for the relevant work.
Each upgrade must meet the eligibility criteria for the product and installation. Make sure you review the criteria before beginning your home renovation project or submitting your application.
Primary space heating
|Air source heat pump – Variable Speed Mini Split (single head installation) (HSPF ≥10, SEER ≥18)||$1,000|
|Air source heat pump – Variable Speed Multi Split (multi-head installation) (HSPF ≥9.3, SEER ≥16)||$1,000|
|Air source heat pump – Variable Speed Central System (HSPF ≥9.3, SEER≥16), "Tier 2"||$2,000|
|Electric heat pump water heater||$1,000|
Insulation and windows (building envelope)
|Attic insulation $0.02 x R-value added x sq ft
|Basement/crawlspace insulation $0.09 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,200|
|Exterior wall cavity insulation $0.09 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,200|
|Exterior wall sheathing insulation $0.09 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,200|
|Other insulation $0.07 x R-value added x sq ft||Maximum $1,000|
|Windows/doors: U-Factor 1.40 – 1.23 (W/m2-K)*||$50 per window or door, maximum rebate $1,000|
|Windows/doors: U-factor 1.22 (W/m2-K) or less||$100 per window or door, maximum rebate $2,000|
If you complete two or more eligible upgrades, you may qualify for bonus offers of up to $2,000.
|Two Upgrade Bonus||Install any two of the above upgrades within 18 months and receive a $300 bonus.|
|Home Energy Improvement Bonus||
|EnerGuide Home Evaluation Rebate||
An EnerGuide home evaluation provides a customized in-home assessment of your home's energy use and provides access to additional rebates
Performed by an energy advisor licensed by Natural Resources Canada, this evaluation gives you a comprehensive look at your home's energy performance and establishes EnerGuide label rating for your home. It will help you make decisions and prioritize which upgrades will save you on energy costs and make your home more comfortable.
And it gets better – if you complete your EnerGuide home evaluation with a program qualified energy advisor, you may be eligible for more rebates:
- $300 EnerGuide Home Evaluation – This rebate is funded by the Province of British Columbia and Government of Canada
- The Home Energy Improvement Bonus is based on the percent reduction in your home’s energy use when you complete 3 or more eligible Upgrades. This rebate is funded in part by the Province of British Columbia and Government of Canada
For information about an EnerGuide home evaluation, visit BetterhomesBC.ca.
It's important to us you get the most out of your home renovations and rebates. So before you start your upgrades, we recommend you read through the criteria for the product and installation to ensure that your upgrade is eligible for the rebates.
Resources to help you get started
If you have questions about energy efficiency upgrade options, products and technologies that are right for your home, or available rebates to make your projects more affordable, pick up the phone or go online to connect with a knowledgeable energy coach for free. You will be provided with building science-based information about the options and opportunities to improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Keep this resource in mind throughout your renovation as the energy coach can answer your questions at all stages of your home energy improvement project. All services are free of charge.
The CleanBC Energy Coach Hotline is funded by the Province of B.C.
- CleanBC Energy Coach
- Phone: 1 844 881 9790 (toll free)
Using a registered contractor for your home renovation project can offer many benefits – and you'll be eligible for rebates. We recommend that you get multiple quotes and consider different systems to determine the product and service provider that best meets your needs.
There are many ways to start your search in finding a contractor – referrals from friends and family, local advertising, and online searches. BetterhomesBC.ca has some great tips on finding and retaining a contractor, including:
- Qualification and training
- A list of current Program Registered Contractors
- Questions to ask your contractor
- Contract tips
Use Program Registered Contractor
BC Hydro and FortisBC have partnered to educate contractors on best business practices for applying insulation and heat pump installation. In order to become a Program Registered Contractor, a firm must complete our best practice and rebate program training. BC Hydro does not represent or guarantee any of the work performed by the Program Registered Contractors and is simply offering training in order to better educate contractors. Visit BetterhomesBC.ca to find one near you. You may select a contractor from this list, or select your own qualified contractor.
Using a Program Registered Contractor is optional and not required to receive a rebate.
What you need to know before you apply
Key steps to keep in mind before you apply:
- Ensure your renovations meet our product eligibility requirements. Read the terms and conditions [PDF, 371 KB].
- Ensure you have all your receipts/invoices.
- Read the invoice and supplemental information [PDF, 141 KB] requirements for details.
- Keep your electric and gas utility account number on hand
- Apply within six months of the upgrade invoice date.
Two Upgrade Bonus
Receive a $300 bonus for completing any two eligible home upgrades.
- If applying for both rebates together, application must be submitted within six months of the invoice date of the first bonus-eligible upgrade.
- If applying for rebates as you go, apply for the first rebate within six months of completing first bonus-eligible upgrade, and complete both the first and second eligible upgrade within 18 months of each other.
- Submit your bonus application within six months of the invoice date of the second eligible upgrade.
Home energy improvement bonus
Complete three bonus-eligible upgrades and receive $20 per percentage reduction in your homes' EnerGuide rating measured in gigajoules per year (GJ/year).
Step 1: Complete your pre-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation with a program qualified home energy advisor.
Step 2: Complete your three or more eligible upgrades. You have 18 months from your pre- evaluation to complete all three upgrades.
Step 3: Complete your post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluation to establish your home's new EnerGuide rating.
Step 4: Submit your online application for your home energy improvement bonus within six months of the date of the post-upgrade EnerGuide home evaluations.
- Have your Energy Advisor submit the Energy Advisor supported rebates form after your post-upgrade EnerGuide assessment. Provide your Energy Advisor with your application reference number.
Carefully review the Invoice and Supplemental information [PDF, 540 KB] requirements for invoice requirements, a full list of forms and supporting documentation before you submit your rebate applications.
See the sample invoices:
- Air source heat pump [PDF, 110 KB]
- Insulation [PDF, 113 KB]
- Heat pump water heater [PDF, 110 KB]
- Windows and doors [PDF, 125 KB]
Utility Account Holder Consent Form
If you aren't the BC Hydro account holder at your residence, you must submit the utility account holder consent form [PDF, 2.3 MB] along with your application.
This may be applicable if you renting and your landlord is the BC Hydro account holder.
This 4 minute video will walk you thought the application steps and the information you need before you apply.
After you apply
After you have completed your online application, you will receive an automated email with your application reference number. You can use this number when communicating with us about your application.
Applications may take up to 90 days from the date all required documents are received to process.
Some rebate applications are randomly selected for a site visit before a rebate payment is issued. The purpose of the site visit is to verify eligibility and the upgrades detailed in your rebate application. The entire visit will take approximately 60 to 90 minutes.
If your application is selected for a site visit, our contractor, It's On Electric, will contact you with further instructions. Please make your best effort to schedule the visit, as your application will not be processed until your site visit is complete.
Ready to apply?
Are your projects complete, you have all your supporting documents and you're ready to apply for your rebates?
The Home Renovation Rebate Program and CleanBC Home Efficiency Rebates is a partnership between BC Hydro, Fortis BC and CleanBC. It is an integrated offer of rebates to help residential customers like you, make energy efficient upgrades that make your home more comfortable year-round, save on energy bills and reduce your greenhouse gases.
For customers this means one application form to receive rebates regardless of who the rebate sponsor is. The process is designed to make it easy to apply and receive your rebate as quickly as possible.