Start training for a rewarding career
The goal of our apprentice program is to provide students with the practical knowledge and experience needed to be successful in their chosen field after graduation. The program involves extensive classroom training and on-the-job learning where students work alongside some of the best at BC Hydro.
Get paid while you learn
If accepted into our apprentice program, you'll earn 75% of the full trade rate while you learn – with the opportunity for further increases as you progress. You'll also receive an excellent benefits package.
All on-the-job training is under the supervision of a journey person at BC Hydro. Once you've finished your apprenticeship, you'll receive graduation certificates from the Apprentice and Trades Training Committee, the IBEW Local Union 258 and a Certificate of Qualification with a Red Seal Endorsement from the Industry Training Authority.
Our apprenticeship opportunities include:
- Apprentice Power Cable Technician
- Apprentice Electrician
- Apprentice Interchange Plant Operator
- Apprentice Mechanic
- Apprentice Meter Technician
- Apprentice Power Line Technician
- Apprentice Vehicle Tradesperson (Truck & Transport Mechanic)
- Apprentice Vehicle Tradesperson (Automotive Refinishing Prep Technician)
- Apprentice Winder
- Communications Protection and Control Technologist Trainee