Free product install and advice
Improve your home's comfort and efficiency
If you live in an income-qualifying household you could be eligible for some free help to improve the comfort and efficiency of your home through the Energy Conservation Assistance Program.
Homeowners and renters that are a BC Hydro or City of New Westminster account holder living in a detached home, townhome, duplex or mobile home and meet the income qualification are eligible to apply. Total household income includes the combined income of all members of the household over the age of 18.
Live in an apartment or condo? Apply for an energy saving kit.
How it works
- A home energy evaluator visits your home and completes a free home energy assessment to examine the efficiency of your home and identify areas for improvement.
- Energy-saving products are installed throughout your home. Products installed include energy-efficient light bulbs, high efficiency showerheads, and weatherstripping to reduce drafts. Some homes may also qualify for an ENERGY STAR® refrigerator, insulation in their walls, attic, and/or crawlspace or a high-efficiency gas furnace*.
- Your energy evaluator will then provide you with advice and tips for how you can improve your home’s efficiency even more to make it more comfortable for you and your family.
*Products installed depend on the individual characteristics of your home. Only FortisBC natural gas customer that meet their minimum consumption requirement are eligible for a furnace upgrade (mobile homes are not eligible). Only single-family homes, townhouses and duplexes are eligible for insulation upgrades; FortisBC gas customers must also meet their minimum consumption requirement. See our application form [PDF, 724 KB] for full program terms and conditions.
Read how Lynn from Kamloops is enjoying a more comfortable and efficient home after her free home energy assessment and upgrades.
How to apply
- Complete an application online, or complete and print the application form [PDF, 728 KB].
- Along with your application form, please submit a copy of one of the following dated within the last year:
- A Notice of Assessment for each member of your household over the age of 18. Please ensure that all information is blacked out except for your name, effective date, and line 150
- Verification of income or disability assistance, e.g. your monthly report (cheque stub), or a printed copy of your Confirmation of Assistance if you're registered for My Self Serve.
- A Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) cheque stub, acknowledgement letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
- A Rental Assistance Program acknowledgment letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
- National Child Benefit Supplement notice from Canada Revenue Agency.
- If you rent your home you'll need to submit a completed landlord consent form [PDF, 727 KB] along with your application.
Mail your completed and signed application package to:
BC Hydro and FortisBC ECAP Operations
P.O. Box 8910 STN Terminal
Timelines may vary. Service in rural and remote areas requires minimum participation levels.
If you have questions or need help your application, please contact our partner Carillion Canada at 1 877 806 3242.