Earn up to $105 for participating in our Peak Rewards program
Get more from your home's smart devices by allowing us to remotely adjust their operation for brief periods to manage the demand on our electrical system. You can earn up to $105 in rewards annually for participating.
How it works
Throughout the year, we'll hold periodic 'peak time events'. During these events, we'll remotely adjust your connected smart home device(s). This may include delaying the start of charging your electric vehicle (EV) or lowering the temperature on your smart thermostat by a degree or two.
Each event will last no more than four consecutive hours. You can opt out of the event at any time and you'll always maintain full override control of your connected devices. After an event ends, your device will return to its normal operation.
You'll receive a $35 reward for each device type that you register in the program, and there are three eligible device types. That means you can receive up to $105 in rewards annually just for participating.
Eligible smart home devices:
- Sinopé smart thermostats
- Mysa smart thermostats
- ChargePoint Level 2 networked EV chargers
- JuiceBox Level 2 networked EV chargers
- Jeep Brand Level 2 networked EV chargers
- Chrysler JuiceBox 32 Hardwired Residential; Plug-In Residential 14-50
- Volvo Juicebox 32 Plug-In Residential 14-50
- SWTCH networked EV chargers*
*Only an eligible product for multi-unit residential buildings that participate in this program. Contact your strata or SWTCH Energy for more information.
- Sinopé smart load controller
To be eligible for the program, you must be the BC Hydro account holder and the owner of your residence. See additional eligibility criteria below for specific device types.
If you're registering an EV charger, you must:
- Own a plug-in electric vehicle.
- Have an eligible EV charger that's always connected to the internet, or be a SWTCH user living in a participating building.
- SWTCH users don't need to own their residence.
If you're registering a smart thermostat or load controller, you must:
- Have an electric hot water heater and/or baseboard heaters.
- Have an eligible thermostat or load controller that's always connected to the internet.
- You can't participate in this program if your BC Hydro account is on the E-Plus rate.
- If you're already participating in other energy management trials using the HydroHome app, you can't participate in this program until those trials end.
How to register
Peak Rewards program registration is done via the manufacturer of each eligible smart home device. Here's how to register based on the type of device(s) you own:
- Sinopé: Activate the "Eco Sinopé" feature in the NeviWeb app.
- Mysa: Eligible customers will receive an email with instructions. If you didn't receive an email or recently purchased your device(s), email Mysa for assistance.
- ChargePoint: Email ChargePoint for assistance. ChargePoint registration closed January 3, 2023.
- SWTCH: Eligible users can register via the SWTCH app.
- JuiceBox, Jeep, Chrysler and Volvo: Submit the registration form on the JuiceBox website.
Note: If you've previously participated in our Peak Rewards pilot program (prior to April 2022), you'll need to register again.
Once your registration is submitted, we'll review your information and send you an email with more information and next steps within 10 business days.
See the program terms and conditions [PDF, 153 KB] for full program details.
Review our frequently asked questions below. If you still need help, please email us.
Contact your device manufacturer directly.
|ChargePoint Technologies||1 888 758 4389|
|JuiceBox / EnelX Way||1 844 584 2329|
|Sinopé Technologies||1 855 741 7700|
|SWTCH Energy||1 844 798 2438|
Peak time events can happen any time of the day, but most commonly take place between 6 a.m. to 11 a.m., and 4 p.m. and 10 p.m.
You don't need to take any action during an event. Your registered device(s) will respond to the signal we send them to automatically adjust their operation.
- EV chargers will stop charging or charge at a lower rate.
- Load controllers will safely shut off the water heater for the duration of the event.
- Mysa thermostats will set back the temperature by up to three degrees.
- Eco Sinopé users can set their own temperature set-back preferences.
After the event, your devices will return to their normal operation.
Most devices will have a "demand response" or "DR" indicator on their screen or in their app. You may receive a notification from your EV charger indicating that charging has been paused.
Most devices allow you to use the device's app to opt out of the event. For thermostats, you can simply adjust the temperature up or down manually. For EV chargers, you can restart charging by unplugging your car and plugging it in again.
Rewards are paid out on your BC Hydro bill each year between April and June.
We're continuing to explore opportunities to add more eligible devices. For devices to work with our program, they must control electric-powered devices (i.e. no gas furnaces or appliances), and must be able to receive a signal via the internet so they can be controlled remotely.