BC Hydro crews work to repair damage following windstorm on Vancouver Island and the South Coast
A windstorm on Vancouver Island and the South Coast has caused damage to BC Hydro infrastructure, leading to power outages for customers.
High winds and snow caused branches and trees to fall onto power lines. At the peak of the storm last night around 30,000 customers were without power. BC Hydro has already restored power to the majority of affected customers, and will continue to work throughout the day to safely restore power to remaining customers.
The hardest hit areas as of 6:30 a.m. include:
- Courtenay: around 4,000 customers without power
- Port Alberni: around 2,000 customers without power
- Ucluelet: around 2,000 customers without power
- Sechelt: around 1,700 customers without power
- Victoria: around 1,300 customers without power
BC Hydro appreciates its customers’ patience as repair work continues and will provide updated estimates for power restoration as they become available at bchydro.com/outages