BC Hydro and Hudson's Hope reach agreement
HUDSON'S HOPE – BC Hydro and the District of Hudson's Hope announced today that they have reached a Partnering Relationship Agreement.
The Agreement formalizes the long-term relationship between BC Hydro and the District of Hudson's Hope to support a sustainable and thriving community and is the culmination of extensive discussions between the District and BC Hydro. A cornerstone of the new relationship is the establishment of a new Community Engagement committee, ensuring a forum for transparent communications and issues resolution, recognizing that a sustainable, healthy community is of benefit to all.
Through this Agreement, BC Hydro has made a number of important commitments to the community, including:
- Work together with the District and fund the revitalisation of a residential sub-division that will provide additional serviced lots, supporting long term housing options for the community and BC Hydro's local employee attraction and retention efforts.
- Build and maintain a demonstration home in the revitalized neighbourhood, and make it available to a local doctor or other essential community services professionals.
- Build and operate a permanent boat launch, including a seasonal dock and day use area, at the base of DA Thomas Road.
- Provide approximately $1-million in funding to the District, including:
- A one-time donation of $268,000 to the District to establish a Community Trust Fund to support community facilities and infrastructure.
- A one-time payment of $442,000 in recognition of District lands affected by the Site C project.
- $150,000 for enhancement of Alwin Holland Park or other community shoreline recreation areas.
- A contribution of $80,000 to support the District in making updates to its community plans to reflect the construction and operation of the Site C project.
- Provide a one-time contribution of $20,000 to support District emergency rescue services.
The Agreement recognizes our shared history and future, and establishes lasting commitment to a partnering relationship to achieve our shared interests.
Dave Heiberg, Councillor, District of Hudson's Hope:
"This Agreement provides the foundation for a sustainable and thriving community that supports individuals and families with quality community services and infrastructure, a variety of recreational opportunities and support for local service providers."
Mark Poweska, Senior Vice-President, Training, Development & Generation, BC Hydro:
"Hudson's Hope is important to BC Hydro and our employees. For over 50 years, Hudson's Hope has provided a welcoming community and home for our employees and their families, including my own, as they support our operations in the Peace Region. We are pleased to support the revitalisation of a new subdivision within the District of Hudson's Hope which will be home to many families in the future."
Diane McSherry, Vice-President and Project Director, Site C:
"We are pleased to have worked together with the District of Hudson's Hope to build an Agreement that includes long-term benefits for the community. We look forward to supporting our long-term relationship with Hudson's Hope through the new Community Engagement committee and the implementation of the Agreement."
District of Hudson's Hope
Dave Heiberg, Councillor
p. 250 783 9901
BC Hydro Media Relations
p. 604 928 6468