BC Hydro recognizes 42 businesses for energy leadership
Vancouver, BC – BC Hydro has named 42 businesses and individuals in British Columbia as finalists for the Power Smart Excellence Awards. The bi-annual Power Smart Excellence Awards recognize best-in-class energy conservation leadership and innovation from BC Hydro customers in commercial, government, and industrial sectors as well as retail and industry partners.
There are 11 award categories: Power Smart Leader; Leadership Excellence; Energy Conservation Commitment; Energy Manager; New Construction; Conservation Partner; New Technology; Consumer Product Manufacturer; National Retailer; Regional Retailer; and the Larry Bell Award for Advancing Energy Conservation.
The awards strive to not only recognize B.C. businesses and individuals for their continued efforts toward energy efficiency but to also inspire other businesses to step up and make their own commitments to conservation.
For a full list of finalists, visit www.bchydro.com/awards. The winners will be announced in October during Power Smart month.
• BC Hydro’s business customers account for more than 60 per cent of annual Power Smart program savings: since 2008, over 2,100 gigawatt hours a year or enough to power more than 190,000 homes a year, has been conserved.
• Conservation is the easiest and most cost-effective way for BC Hydro to meet growing demand for electricity.
• Demand for electricity is expected to grow by 50% by 2020 due to economic and population growth.
• This is the ninth Power Smart Excellence Awards.
Power Smart Excellence Award Finalists 2012
CATEGORY: Power Smart Leader - Finalists:
• Cadillac Fairview – Various properties across BC
• Canfor Pulp Limited Partnership – Prince George
• Fraser Health Authority - Surrey
• Gorman Bros. Lumber Ltd. – Revelstoke and Lumby
• Surrey Schools – Surrey
• Vancouver Island Health Authority - Victoria
• Whistler Blackcomb - Whistler
CATEGORY: Leadership Excellence – Finalists
• Canadian Autoparts Toyota Inc. - Delta
• City of Richmond - Richmond
• Kwantlen Polytechnic University - Surrey
• Molson Coors Canada – Brewery located in Vancouver
• Overwaitea Food Group - Langley
• Simon Fraser University - Burnaby
• Sinclar Group Forest Products Ltd. – Prince George
• The University of British Columbia - Vancouver
• Vancity - Vancouver
• Vancouver Airport Authority - Vancouver
• Vancouver Coastal Health - Vancouver
CATEGORY: National Retailer – Finalists
• Future Shop
• Home Depot of Canada Inc.
• Sears Canada Inc.
CATEGORY: Regional Retailer – Finalists
• Audio Video Unlimited – Head office Coquitlam
• London Drugs Limited – Head office Richmond
• Trail Appliances – Head office Richmond
CATEGORY: Consumer Product Manufacturer – Finalist
• Philips Lighting (A Division of Philips Electronics)
• Samsung Electronics Canada Inc.
• Whirlpool Canada LP
CATEGORY: Conservation Partner – Finalists
• BC Non-Profit Housing Association
• Tourism Vancouver
CATEGORY: Energy Conservation Commitment – Finalists
• Capilano University
• Shared Services BC
CATEGORY: Energy Manager – Finalists
• Energy Manager Hamid Kazmi – CN Rail
• Energy Manager Brian Branting – Cowichan Valley School District No. 79
• Energy Manager Jerry Wyshnowsky – Thrifty Foods
CATEGORY: New Construction – Finalists
• BC Place
• Richmond School District No. 38
• Sysco Vancouver
CATEGORY: New Technology – Finalists
• Saanich School District No. 63
• West Coast Reduction Ltd. - Vancouver
• West Fraser Mills Ltd. - Quesnel
- 30 -
For more information, contact:
BC Hydro Media Relations