Sperling Substation Upgrade Project
Pop-up information sessions
Many thanks to everyone that dropped by our pop-up information sessions to talk to us about the planned substation upgrades. For those that were unable to stop in, see the storyboards that we shared in Reports & documents section of this page.
The Sperling Substation, originally built in the 1940s, is a key piece of the electricity transmission system serving over 56,000 customers in the area. We are planning to address the end-of-life conditions of some equipment at Sperling Substation by replacing and upgrading several electrical components.
The upgrades will increase system reliability, modernize the operations and improve safety for our workers.
The scope of work includes:
- Replace old circuit breakers and oil breakers.
- Construct a new building (called a feeder building) and install indoor electrical equipment to replace an existing obsolete section of outdoor equipment.
- Replace end-of-life protection and control equipment.
- Replace some existing switchgear with modern switchgear equipment.
- Remove previously abandoned structures within the yard.
- Restore any ground disturbances post construction.
The Sperling Substation is an existing outdoor substation located on Arbutus Street near West King Avenue.
We're currently in the early stages of planning for the project at Sperling Substation. Onsite construction is scheduled to start in 2021 with a projected completion of the project in 2024. Our regular maintenance program of the substation will continue until then.