Upper Campbell Reservoir campground
The new Upper Campbell Reservoir campground opened in February 2021. We've implemented safety measures at our recreation sites and ask all visitors to:
- Stay close to home and only visit recreation sites in your community.
- Follow physical distancing requirements outlined by the Public Health Officer.
- Bring hand sanitizer or sanitizing wipes to practice safe hygiene.
- Stay home if you're sick.
Free camping and great fishing make this a popular spot
The recreation area around the Campbell River system offers excellent fishing access to rainbow trout, cutthroat trout and Dolly Varden char.
The Upper Campbell Reservoir campground opened in February 2021, following the permanent closure of the Strathcona Dam campground in November 2020.
Where it is & things to do
Located near the southeastern end of Upper Campbell Reservoir, near Highway 28. Follow road directional signage from Highway 28.
The campground and recreation area offers 21 formal campsites, trails, a beach area, an informal boat launch for 4x4 vehicles only launching small boats, and good fishing. The campsite offers great views up the Campbell River watershed and the mountains of the Strathcona Provincial Park.
BC Hydro's reservoirs serve not only as a source of hydroelectric power, but also as recreation destinations for public enjoyment.
Please familiarize yourself with the below rules prior to your visit:
- Maximum 14 overnight visits per year.
- Designated quiet times are from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- No saving campsites. Equipment with no campers left overnight will be removed.
- Alcohol consumption and smoking (including cannabis and vaping) permitted in campsite only.
- No camping or campfires on the beach.
- Keep unused food and scented products in your vehicle at all times to avoid attracting wildlife.
- Dogs must remain on leash at all times, except in your vehicle, tent or camper/trailer.
- ATVs prohibited within the recreation area.
- Use of firearms and fireworks are prohibited within entire recreation area.
- The use of drones is prohibited.
This recreation area is provided for your use and enjoyment by BC Hydro. Please respect the facilities and natural environment by observing the following rules:
- Deposit refuse in the containers provided.
- Please keep fires contained to the fire pits. Follow the campfire safety rules.
- Firewood is not available on site.
- The use of firearms and hunting in the recreation area is prohibited.
- Observe all posted signs.
- This site is open to the public year-round and maintained by BC Hydro.
Our partnership with Mosaic Forest Management
The Upper Campbell Reservoir campground is located on BC Hydro and Mosaic Forest Management properties. The two companies formed a long-term agreement to create a place for locals and visitors to enjoy for years to come. It was developed in 2020 to replace the permanently closed Strathcona Dam Campground (1995—2020). BC Hydro built and maintains the campground.