Youth Hires Program
Explore a trade or technical career
We offer opportunities for students interested in exploring different trades, technical careers and hands-on work. The Youth Hires Program provides summer employment in the trades and technical occupations to students who are making the transition from school to work.
We are looking for people who believe in integrity, service, teamwork, and accountability, have the ability to apply their skills and knowledge to physical work problems, and are seriously thinking of an apprenticeship or technical program as a means to get their career going.
Successful candidates will have:
- A valid B.C. driver's license
- Graduation from high school with English 12, Math 11, and Science 11 (Physics preferred)
- Interest in learning more about trades or technical field and potential opportunities at BC Hydro and any of the following
- Enrolment in or recent graduation from a recognized trade/occupation pre-apprenticeship or entry level program in power line technician, electrician, meter technician, cable splicer, communications protection and control technician, mechanic OR
- Enrolment in or recent graduation from a recognised program in electrical technology, electrical (power option) technology, drafting, service and design self development program OR
- Enrolment in or recent graduation from a recognised program in Forestry, Environmental Sciences, Natural Sciences or Biology OR
- Experience or have had some exposure to varied types of trades or technical related work OR
- Interest in experiencing a trades or technical related summer position, with no prior training or exposure but a demonstrated keen interest through related courses and skills.