Vehicle Tradesperson (Automotive Refinishing Prep Technician)
Learn to prep, paint and refinish BC Hydro's vehicles
As a Vehicle Tradesperson (Automotive Refinishing Prep Technician) you learn to prep, paint and refinish vehicles in BC Hydro's fleet. It's a diverse fleet of 3,300 vehicles ranging from passenger vehicles to pick-up trucks, vans and heavy vehicles such as man lifts, digger derricks, crane trucks and trailers.
What you learn and experience
Working primarily in a main maintenance garage, but also in satellite workshops and mobile workshops, you'll learn:
- How to use and care for spray guns and air compressors.
- How to complete estimate and repair orders.
- How to prepare, sand, finish, and condition metals.
- How to properly work with components, solvents, undercoats, topcoats, plastics.
- How to handle paint problems and repairs.
- How to handle large, bulky and often heavy materials or equipment.
- How to help keep the power on to customers of BC Hydro.
- How to perform basic body repairs and fibreglass repairs to BC Hydro Fleet vehicles.
Qualifications: What you bring
- You're a high school graduate with English 11, Math 11 (or the equivalent), Physics 11. But English, Math and Physics 11 are not required if you write and pass a college-based entry level trades program entrance exam.
- You've completed an approved Automotive Refinishing Prep Technician entry level trades training/foundation program.
- You have 2 years experience in the trade with digger derricks, cranes, material handling aerial devices and personnel lifts.
- You demonstrate mechanical aptitude and familiarity with industrial tools and equipment.
- You have normal color vision.
- You have a valid BC Class 3 driver’s license with air endorsement.
- You have strong interpersonal skills, are comfortable with co-workers, internal and external customers, and support a positive team approach.
- You are competent in PC operating systems and programs in use at BC Hydro.
- You have effective organizational, planning and leadership skills
Program details & future job prospects
The Apprentice Vehicle Tradesperson (Automotive Refinishing Prep Technician) program is open for applications once per year, beginning in mid-September. The program commences in mid-January.
As a successful apprentice applicant, you spend 24 months in on- the- job training, including 4 weeks per year of classroom training. You successfully complete the automotive painter red seal examination before graduating.
Once you graduate, you can apply on any vacancies Vehicle Tradesperson (Automotive Refinishing Prep Technician) within BC Hydro (most vacancies will be in the Lower Mainland).
Where you train and work
As an apprentice, you're assigned to the Fleet Services headquarters at the Surrey Vehicle Garage. You may be asked to report to alternate locations across B.c. for limited periods of time, and you are prepared to move from location to location as required by the program.
As a graduate, you can apply on any vacancies for Vehicle Tradespersons (Automotive Refinishing Prep Technician) in BC Hydro's Lower Mainland region. You may be required to rotate between day shifts (7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.) and afternoon shifts (4 p.m. to 12 a.m).
Pay and benefits
As an apprentice, you earn 75% of the full journeyperson trade rate while you learn, with further increases during the apprenticeship.
You learn and work in a healthy and safe environment supported by a competitive benefit package that includes vacation (minimum of 3 weeks), overtime pay, designated day offs with pay, disability income, health and vision care, and dental benefits.
Job postings are typically found on our current opportunities page starting in mid-to-late September and early October. Due to the very high number of applications recruiters receive, only those who are shortlisted will receive a phone call.