Facilities electrification fund
Applications no longer accepted
Applications for the facilities electrification fund are no longer accepted as funding has been fully subscribed.
Funding to help connect to BC Hydro's grid
To encourage the switch from carbon-based fuels to clean electricity, the Government of B.C. has allocated $84 million of federal green infrastructure funding to create the CleanBC Facilities Electrification Fund.
The fund is available to BC Hydro customers with fuel switching projects that reduce greenhouse gas (GHGs) emissions and will help reduce the cost of connecting to our clean electricity grid.
You can receive funding for up to 50% of costs to switch existing or planned operations from carbon-based fuels to our clean electricity, to a maximum of $15 million per project.
The remaining 50% of costs could be funded through a combination of customer contributions, or other electrification incentives and programs [PDF, 180 KB] offered by the Government of B.C. and BC Hydro.
Your project must meet the following criteria:
- You must be proposing to switch existing or planned operations from carbon-based fuels to BC Hydro's clean electricity.
- The project must require a new or upgraded connection to be able to connect to our grid and/or require upgrades to our system.
- Projects must support public infrastructure. Customer transmission lines are eligible; however, ownership of that line must be transferred to BC Hydro upon completion.
- Based on the 2022 federal budget, we anticipate that the deadline for completing the interconnection project will be extended from 2027 to 2033.
The amount of load switched from fossil fuels to electricity must meet the following minimum thresholds:
- Industrial customers (transmission voltage): 5 megawatts with a minimum eligible interconnection cost of $5 million.
- Industrial customers (distribution voltage): 2 megawatts with a minimum eligible interconnection cost of $2 million.
- Transportation and built environment customers: 1 megawatt with a minimum eligible interconnection cost of $1 million.
Funding can be applied to costs associated with planning, design (including interconnection study costs) and construction of BC Hydro's electrical infrastructure to supply the new load. Customer transmission lines are eligible if ownership is transferred to BC Hydro.
Customer equipment costs – such as substations, battery-electric buses and ferries, charging infrastructure, electric drive compressors – are not eligible.
How to apply
As of March 16, 2023, applications are no longer accepted as funding has been fully subscribed.
Connect with us
If you have questions about the CleanBC Facilities Electrification Fund, please email us.