Facilities electrification fund
Funding to help connect to BC Hydro's grid
To encourage the switch from carbon-based fuels to clean electricity, the Government of B.C. has allocated $84 million of federal green infrastructure funding to create the CleanBC Facilities Electrification Fund.
The Fund is available to BC Hydro customers with fuel switching projects that reduce greenhouse gas (GHGs) emissions and will help reduce the cost of connecting into BC Hydro’s clean electricity grid.
To be eligible for funding, your project must meet the following criteria:
- You must be proposing to switch existing or planned operations from carbon-based fuels to BC Hydro’s clean electricity.
- The project must require a new or upgraded connection to be able to connect into BC Hydro’s grid and/or require upgrades to BC Hydro’s system.
- Projects must support public infrastructure. Customer transmission lines are eligible; however, ownership of that line must be transferred to BC Hydro upon completion.
- The interconnection project must be complete by spring 2027.
The amount of load switched from fossil fuels to electricity must meet the following minimum thresholds:
- Industrial customers (transmission voltage): 5 megawatts with a minimum interconnection cost of $5 million.
- Transportation, built environment or industrial (distribution voltage) customers: 2 megawatts with a minimum interconnection cost of $2 million.
Eligible projects may receive funding to cover up to 50% of eligible costs to a maximum of $15 million per project; the remaining 50% of costs could be funded through a combination of customer contributions, or other electrification incentives and programs [PDF, 112.4 KB] offered by the Government of B.C. and BC Hydro.
The funding will cover costs associated with planning, design (including study costs) and construction of BC Hydro’s electrical infrastructure to supply the new load. Customer transmission lines are eligible if ownership is transferred to BC Hydro. Customer equipment costs—such as substations, battery-electric buses and ferries, charging infrastructure, electric drive compressors—are not eligible.
Each project will be reviewed on a first come, first serve basis until the $84 million fund has been fully allocated.
Request funding for your project
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in receiving federal funding for your project, contact your BC Hydro Key Account Manager or fill out the funding request form.
We’ll be in touch to discuss your project, interconnection studies and the application process.