Bridge River system upgrades
BC Hydro's Bridge River system is about 300 km north of Vancouver and consists of the Lajoie Dam and Powerhouse (Downtown Reservoir), Bridge 1 and 2 Powerhouses (Terzaghi Dam and Carpenter Lake Reservoir) and Seton Dam and Powerhouse (Seton Lake).
Construction started in 2015, and is scheduled to complete in 2019.
We're planning more than 100 major projects in the system, including:
- Generating unit upgrades at Bridge 2
- Slope drainage improvements
Our Bridge River facilities are between 55 and 70 years old, and need to be updated.
The electricity generated on the system accounts for about 6% of BC Hydro's total generation. These facilities are capable of generating 550 MW of power but are currently restricted to less than 455 MW.
We're spending almost $700 million on facilities that are 55 to 70 years-old. This includes a number of projects in the region.
Reports and documents
- Bridge River newsletter – Winter 2023 [PDF, 3.2 MB]
- Bridge River capital projects update, SLRD – December 2022 [PDF, 1.2 MB]
- Bridge River newsletter – Summer 2022 [PDF, 373 KB]
- LaJoie Dam Improvements Project – March 2022 [PDF, 2.0 MB]
- Bridge River newsletter – Fall 2021 [PDF, 5.81 MB]
- Seton Unit replacement project – Fall 2021 [PDF, 2.2 MB]
- Bridge River newsletter – Spring 2021 [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- LaJoie Dam Improvements Project – December 2020 [PDF, 1.37 MB]
- Bridge River newsletter – Fall 2020 [PDF, 681 KB]
- Bridge River newsletter – Winter 2020 [PDF, 1.6 MB]
If you'd like to learn more about the project, please contact us at:
Phone: 604 623 4472
Toll free: 1 866 647 3334