Clean electricity today—and for the future
It's our job to provide low-cost, reliable electricity. Through the Clean Power 2040 process, we'll consider important and sometimes competing objectives. We'll plan our system in accordance with good utility practice and consider provincial policy objectives, such as:
- Keeping costs down for customers
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions through clean electricity
- Limiting land and water impacts
- Supporting reconciliation with Indigenous Nations
- Supporting the growth of B.C.’s economy
Clean Power 2040 will consider government policy such as the CleanBC plan, and policy outcomes of the current comprehensive review of BC Hydro.
Legislation that will guide our plan includes B.C.'s Utilities Commission Act and the Clean Energy Act. As a crown corporation, we must file our plan with the BC Utilities Commission for review and acceptance. We expect to file it in late 2021, however a public process through the BC Utilities Commission will confirm the filing date (for further details see the BCUC's Order posted on the BCUC website [PDF,182 KB]).
- The Province's plan to encourage us to choose clean and renewable electricity is known as CleanBC.
- The interim report of Phase 2 of the Comprehensive Review of BC Hydro provides an update on how we could leverage B.C.'s clean hydroelectricity to meet the Province's climate goals, support economic development, and make life more affordable.
- Our planning is guided by the British Columbia Utilities Commission Act and the Clean Energy Act.