Savings from fueling vehicle commute with electricity at all-time high
VANCOUVER: New data from BC Hydro shows switching from a top-selling gas powered car to an electric vehicle could save thousands of dollars per year on the average commute.
A recent survey commissioned by BC Hydro found the average British Columbian commuter travels about 20 kilometres each day in their car. Making this trip in a Honda Civic – the top-selling sedan – would cost six times more than it would cost in a Nissan Leaf – the top-selling electric vehicle. This is the highest gap to date in B.C.
At the equivalent of $0.25 per litre in gas, fueling an electric vehicle costs about 80 per cent less than fueling a gas powered vehicle. Commuting 20 kilometres a day in a Nissan Leaf costs about $2 a week, less than the average British Columbian spends on a cup of coffee at $3.60.
Comparing the cost of gas to electricity for a round-trip 80 kilometre commute from Surrey to downtown Vancouver, shows the costs add up over the course of year. For example:
- A Honda Civic costs around $1,800 more per year.
- A Toyota Rav4 costs around $2,100 more per year.
- A Ford F150 costs around $3,380 more per year.
In addition to saving money, about 98 per cent of the electricity BC Hydro generates comes from clean and renewable resources, which means making the switch to an electric vehicle will help reduce emissions.
There are currently more than 18,000 electric vehicles on the road – with 350,000 expected on the roads by 2030. The majority of commutes can be achieved without charging at work. Ninety-five per cent of all car trips in the province are less than 30 kilometres, which is ideal for electric vehicles.
For more information, visit bchydro.com/ev.
- Average fueling costs for popular Victoria round-trip commutes
- Average fueling costs for popular Southern Interior round-trip commutes
- Average fueling costs for popular Prince George round-trip commutes
- Average fueling costs for popular Nanaimo round-trip commutes
- Average fueling costs for popular Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley round-trip commutes
- Average fueling costs for popular East Kootenay round-trip commutes