Filming at BC Hydro facilities
We welcome filming, but our operations are the priority
BC Hydro safely provides reliable, affordable, clean electricity throughout B.C. So while we recognize that some of our facilities make great locations for filming, it's vital that our system operations aren't impacted by filming activities.
In some cases, filming may not be allowed at various sites due to operational or security concerns. Also, filming requests that aren't aligned with our values won't be approved. See the guidelines section below for details of the script review process.
These guidelines below identify the requirements that must be met before, during and after filming takes place.
- We require that all requests for filming or photographing on BC Hydro property be submitted at a minimum of two weeks before production begins.
- We review the request in consultation with the departments(s) responsible for the operation and safety of the property.
- All instances of filming on or near BC Hydro assets must obtain BC Hydro's written approval prior to the activity.
- A complete copy of the final script or storyboard, where applicable to BC Hydro, must be submitted for approval to a BC Hydro filming liaison. BC Hydro must approve the sections of the script applicable to BC Hydro prior to the signing of the contract. Any script changes or additions (including title change) must be brought to the attention of the filming liaison once approval has been granted.
- Fees are set to reflect a fair charge for services, sites and facilities offered in the industry but are subject to change without notice. The film company will be required to pay for all direct costs incurred by BC Hydro for the use of BC Hydro sites including the costs to hire additional security, legal consultation, coordinate of the licensing agreement, clean-up sites, loss of revenue as a result of the shutdown of visitor centres and any other costs incurred.
Step by step film application process
- Fill out form below and submit
- You will receive an email from Film.Requests@bchydro.com with a copy of your request details.
- To process your request, please drop off the following items at the Security Desk at 333 Dunsmuir Street, Vancouver B.C. ATTN: Properties Leasing – Film Liaison, 13th floor.
- Your non-refundable filming application fee of $250.
- Printed copy of the email you received from Film.Requests@bchydro.com.
- Once BC Hydro receives your completed application form and non-refundable application fee, a film liaison coordinator will contact you within three business days.
BC Hydro reserves the right to modify the Filming at BC Hydro Facilities process and rules without notice.
BC Hydro looks forward to working with you!
Important note before you submit your request: If you wish to film on a BC Hydro power line right of way or under/near power lines, please submit your request a minimum of twelve weeks before production begins. BC Hydro will need to complete a safety review to determine if your filming production proposal is acceptable near or under the power line(s). In the application, be sure to provide a detailed list of what's planned and the equipment to be used.
All drone activity must be pre-approved and coordinated with BC Hydro. If your filming project involves any drone activity on or around BC Hydro property then please submit the application request below.
Learn more about the types of compatible uses and acceptable activities near power lines.
Fields marked with * are required.