Whole building design
Funding is currently fully subscribed
Thanks to strong interest from the development community in B.C., funding for this program is currently fully subscribed.
Funding and technical assistance to design energy-efficient buildings
The whole building design offer helps ensure that new developments and major building retrofits are designed to be high-performing and energy efficient, right from the early stages of the design process.
When this program is in market, we provide resources, technical assistance, and potential funding to help building developers and design teams create high-performance, energy-efficient buildings at a lower cost.
Your new commercial or multi-unit residential buildings projects must:
- Be located in BC Hydro’s service area.
- Have potential electricity savings of at least 50,000 kWh per year.
- Be early in the design process.
In addition, your project must comply with our program/modelling requirements.
How to apply
Applications are not currently being accepted as the program funding is fully subscribed.
- New Construction Program consultant orientation manual [PDF, 1.0 MB]
- New construction program energy modelling guideline [PDF, 2.6 MB]
- New construction program energy study proposal and report workbook [XLS, 552 KB]
- Accounting for thermal bridging at interface details – a methodology for de-rating prescriptive opaque envelope requirements in energy codes [PDF, 762 KB]
- Enhanced thermal performance spreadsheet (MS Excel 2010 version) [XLS, 379 KB]
- Enhanced thermal performance spreadsheet (MS Excel 2003 version) [XLS, 462 KB]
- Building envelope thermal bridging guide working example [ZIP, 7.8 MB]
Energy-efficient lighting design
Use our calculator to estimate the potential electrical demand and energy savings of lighting systems that are designed for your project, compared to baseline lighting requirements per the B.C. Building Code.
New construction program lighting calculator [XLS, 454 KB]
Lighting calculator reference guide [PDF, 55 KB]