Power down for Earth Hour and track energy savings online
VANCOUVER – BC Hydro encourages British Columbians to participate in Earth Hour on Saturday, March 25 from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. by turning off unnecessary lights and electronics for one hour. Customers can then monitor the difference in their electricity consumption using free, online electricity tracking tools.
To track their usage, BC Hydro customers can login to their online account, which contains tools that are available year-round and allows customers to:
- See their electricity use right down to the hour.
- Compare their electricity use to similar homes nearby, to last year’s usage, and to the average outside temperature.
- Set up alerts and reminders.
- See their estimated bill.
- Download their home’s electricity use data for offline analysis.
To most effectively track the difference that participating in Earth Hour made, customers should compare their energy consumption to the same time period the previous Saturday (March 18).
Earth Hour is an annual global event hosted by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), which promotes efforts to conserve power and demonstrate support for climate change reduction efforts.
For tools, resources and incentives to help you be smart with power, visit powersmart.ca.
BC Hydro Media Relations
p. 604 928 6468