In October, two new transformers were delivered to the substation site. This delivery was a significant logistical challenge, as substation transformers are very large pieces of equipment. Each transformer is about 6.6 metres long, 4 metres wide, and weighs about 70,000 kilograms.
We want to thank local communities for their patience and understanding throughout the delivery process.
Check out the gallery below to learn more about this challenging but important milestone.
As of May 25, 2021, the Murdo Frazer Pitch and Putt can only be accessed from Elizabeth Way. There is no access from Pemberton Drive/Woods Drive. You can view a map here [PDF, 87 KB].
To ensure we continue to provide reliable electricity in North Vancouver, we're upgrading the Capilano Substation by replacing it with a new substation on the western half of the existing substation site.
The new substation will include:
- Two transformers.
- A building for indoor electrical equipment and a control room.
- Other associated outdoor electrical equipment in the substation yard.
The east side of the substation will continue serving your neighbourhood during construction.
The current Capilano Substation was built in the 1950s and the equipment is aging and needs to be replaced. Substations take electricity from higher voltages and bring it down to a lower voltage in order to supply energy to homes and businesses in your neighbourhood.
We serve approximately 12,000 customers from the Capilano Substation in the area that extends north to the base of Grouse Mountain, south to 1st Street, west to Capilano Road, and east to Lonsdale Avenue.
- April/May 2021: setting up our construction work area.
- June 2021: excavation for the new substation.
- Fall 2021 – Fall 2022: construction of the new substation building.
- Fall 2022 – Spring 2024: receiving, installing and commissioning equipment inside the new substation.
Reports & documents
- Community engagement summary – December 2018 [PDF, 2.0 MB]
- Project public information session story boards – November 2018 [PDF, 5.0 MB]
- Project factsheet – June 2018 [PDF, 583 KB]
604 623 4472
Toll free: 1 866 647 3334
Sign up for updates
Receive updates and information about the Capilano Substation Project.