Thank you for attending our public information session. For those of you unable to attend, or would like to review a recap of this meeting, you can learn more by reading our Engagement Summary and by reviewing our storyboards in our Reports & documents section on this page.
Please note the schedule for the project has been updated. We are now expecting to start site preparation late winter 2020.
To continue to provide reliable electricity in North Vancouver, we're upgrading the Capilano substation by replacing it with a new substation on the western half of the existing substation land.
The new substation will include:
- Two outdoor transformers.
- A building for indoor electrical equipment and a control room.
- Steel support structures to support the new and existing power lines.
- Other associated outdoor electrical equipment in the substation yard.
The east side of the substation will remain operational during construction to continue to provide a reliable supply of electricity to nearby homes and businesses.
Capilano Substation is a set of electrical equipment built in 1950s that takes electricity at higher voltages (60kV) and converts it to a lower voltage to supply power to homes and businesses in the neighbourhood. This type of substation is called a distribution substation as it converts power from transmission voltage levels to distribution voltage levels.
There are approximately 12,000 customers currently being served by Capilano Substation. The service area currently supplied by Capilano Substation extends north to the base of Grouse Mountain, south to 1st Street, west to Capilano Road, and east to Lonsdale Avenue.
Most of the major equipment in the substation is near end-of-life and needs to be replaced.
We're expecting to start site preparation in winter 2020 and construction in spring 2021. We anticipate the station to be in service mid 2024 with construction wrapping up toward the end of 2024.
- Community engagement summary – December 2018 [PDF, 2.0 MB]
- Project public information session story boards – November 2018 [PDF, 5.0 MB]
- Project factsheet – June 2018 [PDF, 583 KB]
- Project introduction letter – May 2016 [PDF, 245 KB]
604 623 4472
Toll free: 1 866 647 3334