International power lines
BC Hydro currently has the following international power lines:
- Transmission Lines 5L51 and 5L52 (overhead) from the Ingledow Substation in Surrey, B.C. to the U.S. Border near the Douglas - Peace Arch border crossing, at Blaine, WA.
- Transmission Line 2L112 (overhead) from the Nelway Substation west of Nelway, B.C. directly south to the U.S. Border near Metaline Falls, WA.
- Distribution Line (partially overhead and partially underground) from the Tsawwassen Substation within 56th Street road allowance in Delta, BC to the U.S. Border at Point Roberts, WA
- Distribution Line (overhead) from a point 560m from the U.S. Border at Hyder, Alaska near Stewart, B.C.
- Distribution Line (underground) from Montana, USA to Newgate, east of Creston, B.C.
The federal government has issued two regulations under the Canadian Energy Regulator Act setting out certain requirements that people must follow, including obtaining BC Hydro’s authorization, if they plan to:
- construct a facility across, on, along or under an international power line;
- cause a ground disturbance within the right of way area of an international power line (or if no right of way is registered for the international power line, within 30 meters from the centerline of the powerline); or
- operate a vehicle or mobile equipment across an international powerline outside of the travelled portion of a highway or public road.
Copies of these regulations can be obtained through the Canada Energy Regulator – CER (formerly known as the National Energy Board – NEB) website and the below links:
- International and Interprovincial Power Line Damage Prevention Regulations – Authorizations, SOR/2019-347
- International and Interprovincial Power Line Damage Prevention Regulations – Obligations of Holders of Permits and Certificates, SOR/2020-49
If you have any questions or need further information about authorizations for activities or facilities in the vicinity of BC Hydro’s international powerlines, please contact the BC Hydro Properties Helpdesk by email at email@example.com or by phone at 1 800 667 1517.