Why work for BC Hydro
Exceptional people doing exceptional work
We're all about getting the right people, with the right skills, values and motivation in the right jobs. And once we get them there, we want to help them to reach their potential.
We do this through offering career development and advancement opportunities, including:
- In-house training, tuition and accreditation support
- Rotations, job shadowing, mentoring and coaching
- Career and succession planning
- Comprehensive leadership programs
We provide a comprehensive benefit program including extended health, dental, disability and life insurance plans. Our plans give you the flexibility to select the coverage that works best for your needs.
Wellness programs and resources
We're proud to support employee physical, mental and financial well-being. We provide time off programs to support work/life balance, on-site fitness facilities (select locations) and many health and well-being resources, including an Employee and Family Assistance Program.
We have a defined benefit pension plan that guarantees your retirement income based on your earnings and service with BC Hydro.
An inclusive workplace for everyone
We continue to support shared goals with the Province of B.C. to advance reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and support accessibility in our services to customers. We invite candidates who bring a diversity of thought, skills, and experiences to help us design plans and actions to tackle these challenges. See our progress on building a diverse workforce.
We’re committed to providing all employees with a workplace where everyone is treated with dignity and respect and is free from bullying, harassment, discrimination and offensive conduct and remarks.
We commit that:
- We will uphold human rights consistent with the Human Rights Code.
- We will build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities and customers and gather data to measure our progress toward employment equity.
- We will regularly review our hiring and promotion practices, particularly to address systemic barriers and biases facing particular groups.
- We will educate ourselves on inclusion and diversity and support each other as we learn.
- We will learn to recognize unconscious bias and provide employees with skills to act and perform their work consistent with our values.
- We will be open to differing cultures, backgrounds, identities, ideas, approaches and perspectives.
- We support people who report exclusion, harassment and bullying and will ensure they can report incidents without fear of retaliation.
- We will ensure that everyone feels safe to focus on their work and that all employees are able to contribute to their fullest potential.
- We will seek advice and feedback from our employees, including our employee networks, about their lived-experience and support people to be comfortably open about themselves at work.
- We will all hold one another accountable to be respectful and inclusive.