The Peak Rewards Program is back
The Peak Rewards program explores ways to optimize the services you want, while managing the peak times on our system.
How the program works
Just like when cars are bumper-to-bumper on the highway during a rush hour commute to work, our electric system experiences peak times as well. These peak times often occur on cold winter nights when everyone turns on their heat, or on hot summer days when air conditioning peaks. With your help, we're hoping to reduce electricity usage during these peak periods.
During the trial seasons we'll remotely adjust your connected smart home devices during select peak time events. Peak times will last for no more than four consecutive hours. You may opt-out at any time during the event. You always have full override control for any devices you elect for the trials. At the end of each trial season, you'll receive up to $160 just for participating.
For this winter season, eligible smart home devices are Sinope and Mysa smart thermostats, Sinope smart load controller, ChargePoint Level 2 EV charger and participants on the HydroHome trial.
What to expect during a peak time event
A few things you’ll want to know about these events are:
- You don't need to do anything, just sign up. We will remotely adjust your connected smart home devices, such as delaying EV charging or lowering temperature set point slightly.
- An event will last for no more than four consecutive hours.
- You may choose to opt-out of an event at any time.
- You will always have full override control of the device.
A peak time event may occur from 6 a.m. to 12 noon and 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., during the trial season.
Earn up to $ 160 for participating
You could receive up to $ 160 per year for participating in the program as follows:
- Receive a $ 40 reward for your Sinopé water heater load controller.
- Receive a $40 reward for all eligible Sinopé or Mysa smart thermostats in the residence.
- Receive $40 reward for the signing up as a HydroHome user.
- Receive $40 reward for the ChargePoint smart EV charger.
Winter season (November 1, 2021 – March 31, 2022)
Who can qualify
Customers must meet the following criteria:
- You must be the BC Hydro account holder and the owner of your residence
- For EV smart charger customers:
- Own a plug-in electric vehicle
- Must currently have a “ChargePoint” Level 2 Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE)
- The eligible EVSE must connect to the Internet.
- For smart home device customers:
- Have an electric hot water heater and/or baseboard heaters
- Must have an eligible Sinopé or Mysa device that is connected to the internet via your own Internet service.
- Have an active HydroHome account with connected thermostats, plugs or load controllers
How to apply
You can register through the equipment vendor mobile apps/websites, or you will receive an email invitation to sign up:
- Sinope – please activate the “Eco Sinopé” feature in the NeviWeb app to register
- ChargePoint – enter connection code “BCH2021” in your ChargePoint app (under Account and then Connections)
- Mysa – eligible customers will receive an email with instructions
- HydroHome user – please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to register
Please read the terms and conditions [PDF, 127 KB] for full details, and apply by October 15, 2021,
If you're selected for the trial, we'll notify you via email with next steps.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any questions.