Free products and rebates for Indigenous communities
Lead energy-saving upgrades in your community
Indigenous communities (Bands) can get training, free energy-saving products and rebates to implement home energy upgrades for their community members.
Indigenous communities (Bands) in BC Hydro's service territory are eligible. This program is ideal for Bands that have:
- Plans to conduct home renovations (or are already in the process of making upgrades) and are looking for support to improve energy efficiency.
- Trades training/job readiness programs that provide local skilled labour.
- Previously participated in the Energy Conservation Assistance Program but are interested in implementing additional home energy upgrades.
How it works
A designated Project Lead from your community will be responsible for working with BC Hydro to coordinate and deliver the program locally, including:
- Hiring individuals to install free energy saving products [PDF, 46 KB] (with salary support from BC Hydro).
- Ordering free energy-saving products for homes through our online storefront.
- Coordinating training for Band staff and local installers/contractors.
- Coordinating home visits where trained individuals will assess energy upgrade opportunities and install free energy-saving products in homes.
- Applying to BC Hydro for rebates on eligible advanced home energy upgrades [PDF, 46 KB] that have been installed.
Training will be provided to all Project Leads, relevant Band staff and installers/contractors for:
- Reviewing home energy upgrade opportunities.
- Installing free energy-saving products in homes.
- Air sealing and insulation (Best practice guide: air sealing and insulation retrofits for single family homes).
How to apply
We will work with your community to assist with the application process and will be available throughout the energy upgrade process.
Get started today
Contact us at 1 866 266 6366 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Renting your place?
If you’re looking for BC Hydro to help install free energy saving products into your tenant’s and member’s homes, visit the Energy Conservation Assistance Program for more information.