Skip to content

Free product installation and energy coaching

Portable AC offer update - July 20

We're currently experiencing a high volume of inquiries about the portable air conditioner offer. Before reaching out, please check to see if your question is answered in our updated FAQs. If you've already applied, check your email for information about the status of your application, timelines, and next steps. If you've been approved, your application is in the queue for scheduling and our contractor will contact you as soon as possible.


Energy Conservation Assistance Program

Manager giving advice to homeowner

Improve your home's comfort and save energy

If you live in an income-qualified household you could be eligible for free upgrades to help improve the comfort and efficiency of your home with our Energy Conservation Assistance Program.

Apply now

Products and upgrades available

The products and upgrades you'll receive depend on the housing type and individual characteristics of each home. They may include:

  • LED light bulbs and night light
  • High-efficiency showerheads
  • Faucet aerators
  • Door weather stripping
  • Insulating wrap for hot water pipes
  • Clothes drying rack
  • Carbon monoxide detectors
  • ENERGY STARĀ® fridge replacement
  • High-efficiency gas furnace replacement (for eligible FortisBC gas customers only)
  • Insulation in walls, attic, or crawlspace
  • Portable air conditioner*

On June 28, the Government of B.C. announced its providing $10 million in funding to expand our Energy Conservation Assistance Program (ECAP) to include portable air conditioners to support vulnerable customers.

Income-qualified customers and individuals who meet the Ministry of Health's criteria as medically heat vulnerable and have received a recommendation letter from their home health clinician or community health nurse can apply online.

You can share this info sheet [PDF, 493 KB] with your landlord to give them the details they need.

1. When will I receive my AC unit after applying?

Once you're approved, our contractor will contact you within one to two weeks to schedule a visit to your home. During the visit, an energy coach will assess your home to determine if it's suitable for an AC. Installation requires access to an operable window, as well as a safe power supply. In some instances, a follow-up visit may be required to install the AC unit.

2. Am I eligible if I have an AC unit in my home already?

No, you're not eligible if you have a functioning AC unit in your home. If you have a unit that's completely non-functioning, you may be eligible for a new one. Your old unit will be removed and recycled properly.

3. Can I apply if I've participated in the Energy Conservation Assistance Program or received an Energy Saving Kit in the past?

Yes, if you still meet the income qualification, you can apply for the AC offer.

4. Is the portable AC offer available in FortisBC electric territory (including New Westminster, City of Nelson and City of Penticton)?

Yes, residents living in New Westminster are eligible. Residents in FortisBC electric territory, City of Nelson and City of Penticton can apply here.

5. Who's eligible for the free portable air conditioner offer?

The portable air conditioner offer is available to:

  1. Households who meet the income qualification of our Energy Conservation Assistance Program, and/or
  2. People who meet the Ministry of Health's criteria as medically heat vulnerable, and have received a recommendation letter from their home health clinician or community health nurse to participate in this offer.

This criteria is determined by the Government of B.C.If you don't qualify for this offer, see our rebates for air conditioners (limited-time offer) and heat pumps.

6. What if I don't have a BC Hydro account under my name?

If you live in an apartment or condo and don't have a BC Hydro account, you can fill out a paper application [PDF, 305 KB] and mail it to us with a signed landlord consent form [PDF, 2.3 MB].

Share this info sheet [PDF, 493 KB] with your landlord to give them the details they need.

If you live in non-profit housing, you can apply online as an individual.

Non-profit housing providers: We're working on an offer to help non-profit housing providers cool their buildings with portable air conditioners for emergency cooling situations. If you're a non-profit housing provider and you'd like to receive more information as it becomes available, please fill out this form.

7. Can I apply for a portable AC unit if I live in a condo or apartment?

Yes. However, you'd be eligible for the AC unit only. You won't receive the other products or upgrades that are available as part of the Energy Conservation Assistance Program.

8. Can I apply for a portable AC unit if I rent my home?

Yes. However, renters/tenants will need to get their landlord's permission to participate. See more information for renters.

9. What kind of air conditioner will I get?

This offer is for one portable air conditioning unit, which is on wheels and is suitable for cooling one area or room of a home. Portable units are installed by connecting a flexible duct hose through an open window and are plugged into a standard wall electrical outlet. Learn more about types of air conditioners.

We're offering portable ACs to provide targeted cooling for extreme heat relief and safety. They're not intended or designed as a whole-home cooling solution

In addition to the products and upgrades above, if your home type is a manufactured/mobile home you could also be eligible for:

  • Heat pump*
  • Underbelly insulation

*Available if you're currently electrically heated and living in climate zones 4 and 5. View the climate zone map.

To apply for this offer, complete the application linked below and select manufactured/mobile home as your housing type.

How it works

  1. Check our income qualification table to make sure that you're eligible.
  2. Apply for the program. Once you're approved, an energy coach will contact you to schedule a visit to your home.
  3. During the visit, the energy coach will install energy-saving products throughout your home, all for free. Some homes may get a new refrigerator, gas furnace, air conditioner, and/or insulation. Note: If you live in an apartment or condo, you're only eligible to apply for the air conditioner offer.
  4. They'll also provide an overview of the products installed and personalized advice and tips to save energy.


Your household income must not exceed the amounts listed below. Income is based on the previous year and includes the combined income of all household members aged 18 and older.



1 person $38,200
2 people $47,600
3 people $58,500
4 people $71,000
5 people $80,500
6 people $90,800
7 or more people $101,100

  • Single-family detached home
  • Townhome
  • Rowhome
  • Duplex
  • Manufactured home / mobile home

Live in an apartment or condo and meet the income qualification? You can apply for the air conditioner offer through ECAP. You can also apply for a free energy saving kit.

Do you rent your home? You can still apply for this program if the BC Hydro or City of New Westminster utility account is in your name.

Have your landlord complete a landlord consent form [PDF, 902 KB] and submit the form along with the rest of your application.

How to apply

Apply for the program online or by mailing a paper application [PDF, 305 KB].

With your application, you'll need to provide proof of income for each member of your household aged 18 or older.

Submit a copy of one of the following documents for each member of your household aged 18 or older. Documents must be dated within the last year.

  • Notice of Assessment (NOA) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). To get your NOA, please contact the CRA at 1 800 959 8281. Ensure that all information on the NOA is blacked out except for your name, effective date, and line 150.
  • Verification of income or disability assistance, e.g. your monthly report (cheque stub), or a printed copy of your Confirmation of Assistance if you're registered for My Self Serve.
  • Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) cheque stub, acknowledgement letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
  • A Rental Assistance Program acknowledgment letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
  • National Child Benefit Supplement notice from Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) notice.

The following documents are not accepted as proof of income:

  • Income Tax Summary
  • T1 General
  • T4
  • BC Home Assessment


Have questions?

If you live in a single-family detached home, townhome, duplex, apartment, or condo:

  • To ask about the initial home visit, or fridge replacement, contact our program partner It's On Electric at 1 855 560 3227.
  • If you've qualified for an insulation or furnace upgrade, contact our program partner Ecofitt, a CLEAResult company at 1 833 455 9029.

If you live in a manufactured/mobile home

  • Contact our program partner Ecofitt, a CLEAResult company at 1 833 455 9029.

If you have other inquiries, you can email us.

Please note, to help us evaluate this program you may receive a call from our program partner, Ecolighten.

Safety for in-home visits

We're continuing to take steps to protect the health and safety of you and our contractors, including:

  • A COVID-19 pre-screening survey before the home visit.
  • Sanitizing areas in the home where products are installed.
  • Wearing masks and maintaining distance whenever possible.

Program in partnership with

Province of BC

Fortis BC

Pacific Northern Gas

Related programs

Energy saving kit

Get a free kit of energy-saving products delivered to your door. Install them yourself to help save on your electricity costs. Available to low- and moderate-income households, including apartments and condos.