Free product installation and energy coaching
Energy Conservation Assistance Program
Improve your home's comfort and save energy
If you live in an income-qualified household you could be eligible for free upgrades to help improve the comfort and efficiency of your home with our Energy Conservation Assistance Program.
Products and upgrades available
The products and upgrades you’ll receive depend on the housing type and individual characteristics of each home. They may include:
- LED light bulbs and night light
- High-efficiency showerheads
- Faucet aerators
- Door weather stripping
- Insulating wrap for hot water pipes
- Clothes drying rack
- Carbon monoxide detectors
- ENERGY STAR® fridge replacement
- High-efficiency gas furnace replacement (for eligible FortisBC gas customers only)
- Insulation in walls, attic, or crawlspace
- Underbelly insulation for manufactured/mobile homes
How it works
- Check our income qualification table to make sure that you’re eligible.
- Apply for the program. Once you’re approved, an energy coach will contact you to schedule a visit to your home.
- During the visit, the energy coach will install energy-saving products throughout your home, all for free. Some homes may get a new refrigerator, gas furnace, and/or insulation.
- They’ll also provide an overview of the products installed and personalized advice and tips to save energy.
Your household income must not exceed the amounts listed below. Income is based on the previous year and includes the combined income of all household members aged 18 and older.
NUMBER OF PEOPLE IN HOUSEHOLD
|MAXIMUM HOUSEHOLD INCOME BEFORE TAX|
|7 or more people||$94,700|
Submit a copy of one of the following documents for each member of your household aged 18 or older. Documents must be dated within the last year.
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). To get your NOA, please contact the CRA at 1 800 959 8281. Ensure that all information on the NOA is blacked out except for your name, effective date, and line 150.
- Verification of income or disability assistance, e.g. your monthly report (cheque stub), or a printed copy of your Confirmation of Assistance if you're registered for My Self Serve.
- A Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) cheque stub, acknowledgement letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
- A Rental Assistance Program acknowledgment letter or benefit change letter from BC Housing.
- National Child Benefit Supplement notice from Canada Revenue Agency.
- Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) notice.
The following documents are not accepted as proof of income:
- Income Tax Summary
- T1 General
- BC Home Assessment
If you have questions about your application or the initial home visit, contact our program partner It's On Electric at 1 855 560 3227.
If you've qualified for an insulation or furnace upgrade and have questions about it, contact our program partner Ecofitt at 1 833 455 9029.
If you have other inquiries, you can email us.
Please note, to help us evaluate this program you may receive a call from our program partner, Ecolighten.
Safety for in-home visits
We’re continuing to take steps to protect the health and safety of you and our contractors, including:
- A COVID-19 pre-screening survey before the home visit.
- Sanitizing areas in the home where products are installed.
- Wearing masks and maintaining distance whenever possible.
Program in partnership with
Get a free kit of energy-saving products delivered to your door. Install them yourself to help save on your electricity costs. Available to low- and moderate-income households, including apartments and condos.