In fall 2020 we'll be working on Woods Drive to extend underground utilities, add a fire hydrant and improve the existing public parking. This will be followed by demolition of a building on the substation property, to make way for construction of the substation next year.
To ensure we continue to provide reliable electricity in North Vancouver, we're upgrading the Capilano Substation by replacing it with a new substation on the western half of the existing substation site.
The new substation will include:
- Two transformers.
- A building for indoor electrical equipment and a control room.
- Other associated outdoor electrical equipment in the substation yard.
The east side of the substation will continue serving your neighbourhood during construction.
The current Capilano Substation was built in the 1950s and the equipment is aging and needs to be replaced. Substations take electricity from higher voltages and bring it down to a lower voltage in order to supply energy to homes and businesses in your neighbourhood.
We serve approximately 12,000 customers from the Capilano Substation in the area that extends north to the base of Grouse Mountain, south to 1st Street, west to Capilano Road, and east to Lonsdale Avenue.
We're starting site preparation in fall 2020 with substation construction in spring 2021.
- Community engagement summary – December 2018 [PDF, 2.0 MB]
- Project public information session story boards – November 2018 [PDF, 5.0 MB]
- Project factsheet – June 2018 [PDF, 583 KB]
- Project introduction letter – May 2016 [PDF, 245 KB]
604 623 4472
Toll free: 1 866 647 3334
Sign up for updates
Receive updated and information about the Capilano Substation Project.