The upgrade of Fernie Substation was completed in October 2018. Over the course of the five-year project, approximately 700 people from across the province and the region worked on the upgrade.
The Fernie Substation was built in the early 1970s and was reaching capacity as the demand for electricity in the Fernie area is forecasted to increase by approximately 11% in the next 10 years. It required upgrading with new technology and equipment.
Following consultation with the City of Fernie, including review and approval of the proposed substation aesthetics by their Design Review Panel, we enhanced the look of the substation with landscaping and design accents consistent with Fernie's downtown heritage theme.
As part of the Fernie Substation upgrade, we:
- Built a new control building and removed the old one.
- Installed an additional transformer and distribution feeder.
- Added new equipment and improved technology.
- Installed new security fencing.
- Changed out the substation's old wood poles with new steel ones.
This upgrade will allow us to continue providing clean reliable power to your community, about 5,000 homes and businesses, now and in the future.
The substation is in the City of Fernie, next to the skateboard park on Ridgemont Drive.
The upgrade was completed for $27.5 million.
We completed an environmental review, an archaeological overview assessment, and soil and groundwater sampling. In addition, we carried out a watercourse assessment and wildlife/vegetation field assessment for protected species.
During construction, we worked to avoid, minimize or mitigate environmental impacts. Environmental management and mitigation measures during construction included:
- project-specific mitigation measures based on results of field assessments
- implementation of a site-specific Environmental Management Plan
- site clearing outside of the bird nesting season
- environmental monitoring
Reports & documents
News release: Increasing population and economy drive expansion of Fernie substation, Nov 6, 2018
250 489 6862
Toll free: 1 866 647 3334