Home energy monitors
Know how much electricity you're using, at the moment you're using it
Home energy monitors (HEM) give you real-time information about your household's electricity use – in kilowatts, and dollars and cents.
You may already be tracking your historical electricity use online through your MyHydro account. With a home energy monitor, you can track the electricity you use in real time. This helps you understand how and when you're using electricity, as well as the associated costs – allowing you to take actions to reduce your usage and save.
Depending on the monitor model you have, you can receive your energy data in three convenient ways:
- Through a smart speaker (Rainforest Eagle 200)
- Via a smart phone or computer (Rainforest Eagle 200)
- Directly on the HEM device screen (Rainforest Emu)
Who can use a home energy monitor?
To be eligible for a home energy monitor, you need to meet a few requirements:
- Have an online MyHydro profile with a linked profile.
- Don't have a MyHydro profile? Sign up for one. All you need to provide is your name, email address, password and security question.
- Live in a residential detached or semi-detached home; this includes most townhomes, rowhomes and mobile homes.
- Have a connected smart meter with a good network connection.
Get hands-free, voice-activated energy insights
The Rainforest Eagle 200 now works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. To hear about your energy usage through your smart speaker, you’ll need to activate the Rainforest Automation Google Action or Alexa Skill and link it to your Rainforest account. Then simply say, “Hey Google, talk to Rainforest automation” or “Alexa, launch Rainforest automation.”
You can ask a variety of questions like “What’s my energy snapshot?” or “How long before I reach tier 2?” or “How much is my electricity costing me right now?”
Get started by purchasing a home energy monitor
- Sign in to your online MyHydro profile.
- From your MyHydro account, hover over 'MyHydro' on the top grey menu bar and select 'Energy monitors'.
- Select the home energy monitor you'd like to purchase from Rainforest Automation and complete your order through their website.
- After completing your order, you'll then be directed back to your MyHydro account to register your device.
- We'll set-up your electricity meter to connect with the device you've selected. This may take a few days.
- Once complete, Rainforest Automation will finalize your purchase and ship your device. If the home energy monitor you've selected isn't compatible with your home, Rainforest Automation will cancel the order at no cost to you.
After you receive your home energy monitor, simply follow the set-up instructions provided, and your monitor will automatically connect to the electricity meter at your home.
Current models available
The two current models available for BC Hydro customers are manufactured and sold by Rainforest Automation, a B.C.-based company.
Please note: Rainforest Automation is temporarily out of stock of both eligible models. Please check their website for updates.
Rainforest EAGLE-200™ Energy Gateway
The EAGLE-200 monitors your electricity usage in real-time, and connects to your home Ethernet or WiFi network. You can see your energy usage information on any web-enabled device, anywhere you have internet access.
Plus applicable taxes.
Rainforest EMU-2™ Energy Monitoring Unit
The EMU-2™ monitors your electricity usage and displays this information, in both dollar cost and kilowatts, on its LCD screen. Information displayed includes the total electricity use for the billing period and the real-time electricity use.
Does not require an internet connection.
Plus applicable taxes.
Ready to get started?
Start by logging into your MyHydro profile and follow these instructions.