Commercial new construction
By being a leader in energy management, we can assist with resources, potential funding and technical assistance to building owners, developers and the design industry to create high-performance, energy-efficient buildings.
Note: Effective May 1, 2015 all Whole Building Design project applications must comply with the updated program/modelling requirements referenced below.
- New Construction Program consultant orientation manual [PDF, 552 KB]
- New construction program energy modelling guideline [PDF, 637 KB]
- New construction program energy study proposal and report workbook [XLS, 445 KB]
- Accounting for thermal bridging at interface details – a methodology for de-rating prescriptive opaque envelope requirements in energy codes [PDF, 762 KB]
- Enhanced thermal performance spreadsheet (MS Excel 2010 version) [XLS, 379 KB]
- Enhanced thermal performance spreadsheet (MS Excel 2003 version) [XLS, 462 KB]
- Building envelope thermal bridging guide working example [ZIP, 7.8 MB]
This guide explores how the building industry in B.C. can meet the challenges of reducing energy use in buildings, in part by effectively accounting for the impact of thermal bridging.
Version 1.1 - April 2016
Many details and assemblies were added to the thermal performance catalogue (Appendix A and B) of BETB Guide Version 1.1. The sections related to the cost benefit analysis and market transformation have been removed so that the new version focuses only on providing thermal performance data and how to utilize this information in everyday practice.
Refer to the original version of the BETB Guide released in 2014 for sections related to energy savings and cost benefit analysis (Part 2) and market transformation (Part 3: Significance, Insights, and Next Steps). These documents are still relevant to current realities but are not material that need to be referenced in everyday practice and have not been updated since the original version of the BETB Guide.
- Building Envelope Thermal Bridging Guide – Version 1.1 [PDF, 7.0 MB]
- Appendix A – Catalogue Material Data Sheets – Version 1.1 [PDF, 63.1 MB]
- Appendix B – Catalogue Thermal Data Sheets – Version 1.1 [PDF, 56.7 MB]
Version 1.0 - October 2014
Most practitioners will find PART 1 and Appendices A and B to be most useful. PART 1 outlines how to effectively account for thermal bridging. Appendices A and B provide a catalog of common building envelope assemblies and interface details, and their associated thermal performance data.
Researchers and regulators will be interested in PART 2 and PART 3, and Appendices C to E. They contain the cost-benefit analysis, and discussion on significance and further insights, of using this guide to mitigate thermal bridging in buildings.
- Overview presentation [PDF, 3.2 MB]
- Introduction [PDF, 2.2 MB]
- Part 1: Building envelope thermal analysis (BETA) guide [PDF, 4.5 MB]
- Part 2: Energy savings and cost benefit analysis [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- Part 3: Significance, insights and next steps [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- Appendix A – Catalogue material data sheets [PDF, 14.3 MB]
- Appendix B – Catalogue thermal data sheets [PDF, 11.7 MB]
- Appendix C – Energy modeling analysis and results [PDF, 1.2 MB]
- Appendix D – Construction costs [PDF, 1.2 MB]
- Appendix E – Cost benefit analysis [PDF, 7.3 MB]