Electric vehicles: Basics & benefits
Plug-in electric vehicles can decrease our dependence on oil, cut carbon emissions and reduce fuel costs. Find out if an EV is right for you.
What is an electric vehicle?
Plug-in electric vehicle is the technical term to describe all vehicles that have a battery that can be charged or plugged-in to an electrical outlet. But the more common term, and the one you’ll see throughout this section, is EV.
Types of electric vehicles
Benefits of owning an electric vehicle
- A plug-in car uses little or no gasoline, reducing or eliminating tailpipe emissions and greenhouse gases.
- When electricity is your fuel, you save about 75 per cent on fuel costs.
- Because they have fewer moving parts, EVs often require less maintenance.
- Unlike gas-powered vehicles, an EV can accelerate quickly with very little sound.
- EVs replace imported oil with reliable and more affordable electricity produced in B.C.