Eligibility for community grant funding
From February 1 to March 31, 2023, we’re accepting applications for funding for eligible organizations that are developing new or expanding existing programs that align with one or more of our focus areas. Please note we only fund one program or initiative per organization per year.
Grant applications are reviewed based on six main criteria:
- Relevance: How does your organization impact your community or communities?
- Capacity building: How does your organization help to support the vitality of your community or communities?
- Sustainability: How does your organization operate on a self-sustaining model?
- Involvement: Does your program or initiative create partnership opportunities? (i.e. volunteerism)
- Accountability: Can you provide measurable results?
- Profile: How visible are you locally and/or regionally?
Canadian organizations requesting funding must:
- Be a Canadian non-profit or registered Canadian charitable organization. If you are a Canadian charity, your Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) registered charitable number must be provided.
- Direct the funding to a specific program or initiative that aligns with one or more of our focus areas:
- Building the STEM workforce of tomorrow
Organizations and programs that focus on youth education programming in the areas of STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) and trades training.
- Safety education
Programs that promote public safety including electrical safety, water safety, and emergency preparedness.
- Developing a clean and sustainable future
Programs and initiatives that increase awareness and take steps towards environmental conservation, energy-efficiency and reducing carbon emissions.
- Building the STEM workforce of tomorrow
- Be financially stable, have effective management and enough employees or volunteers to successfully execute the program.
- Eligible initiatives must take place from May 1, 2023, to April 30, 2024.
The following organizations and/or activities are not eligible to receive funding:
- Organizations with no operating base in B.C.
- Health and social service organizations (unless the program aligns with focus areas)
- Political parties or candidates, advocacy, or special interest groups
- Sports teams, tournaments, or sports equipment
- School equipment
- Scholarships, bursaries, and endowments
- Research and feasibility studies
- Organizations or projects devoted to political or religious causes
- Capital campaigns, infrastructure upgrades or maintenance
- 100% of any project costs
- Salaries, wages, or stipends
- Operating costs: e.g., heating, lighting, rent
- Expenses incurred prior to the application date
- Event sponsorships: e.g., charity events, galas, golf tournaments, event tickets, celebrations, and festivals (unless aligned with focus areas)
- Fundraising events: e.g., school fundraisers, individual or third-party fundraising, special equipment
- Advertising costs; underwriting TV, film, or video
- Individuals and individual pursuits
- Travel costs including accommodations, meals, or transportation
- In-kind donations of prizing, giveaways, or gift baskets
- In-kind requests for BC Hydro services, materials or equipment including, but not exhaustive:
- Electrical connections, deferred or free electricityo
- Fleet vehicles
- Used computers
- Scrap metal
Grant specific requirements
Broad Impact Grant
To be eligible for funding up to $10,000 with the Broad Impacts Grant, the organization or program must:
- Use grant funding to support a specific program or initiative that's sustainable and has a significant impact, or for new or existing program delivery into multiple communities.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide measurable outcomes of the initiative's success.
- Submit stories and photos of the project during or upon completion.
To be eligible for funding up to $2,000 with the Grassroots Grant, the organization or program must:
- Use grant funding to support a specific local program or initiative.
- Build community and strengthen connections.
Applications must be submitted between February 1 and March 31, 2023.
Please note that qualification to apply for funding does not guarantee funding support. Once you've submitted your application, you’ll receive a confirmation email. If you don’t receive an email, please contact us.