Skip to content

Air conditioner offer for non-profit housing

Close-up View Of Portable Air Conditioner In The Room

Maintain the safety and comfort of your housing units

To help residents stay safe during extreme heat events, we're offering funding for non-profit housing societies to buy and install portable air conditioner (AC) units.

This funding can be used to purchase AC units for both common areas and targeted suites.

Chart showing funding for AC

Who is eligible?

To be eligible for the program, you must be:

  • non-profit housing societies, housing co-ops, and municipal housing authorities that aren't governed by or have an agreement with BC Housing;
  • organizations that haven't received other AC unit rebates and don't currently have an AC unit installed; and,
  • a housing type that falls within one of the following categories:
    • Multi-unit residential building, such as a condominium, high-rise or apartment.
    • Commercial group home or single-family dwelling that provides housing and supportive care.
    • Side-by-side duplex or side-by-side row townhouses.

How to apply

1. Review the Terms and Conditions [PDF, 82 KB] and then complete and submit this application form [PDF, 79 KB]:  

  • Via email to, or
  • By mail
    • Energy Management, Social Housing Operations
      333 Dunsmuir Street, 5th floor
      Vancouver, B.C. V6B 5R3

2. If your application is approved, you'll receive an acceptance package with information on next steps.

3. Purchase and install the eligible AC units.

4. Submit your paid invoice within three months of purchase. Your invoice must (1) be dated on or after the acceptance package date, (2) show a $0 balance, and (3) specify the make and model number of all units purchased.

You'll receive your rebate within 90 days.

Air conditioner offer for Indigenous communities

If you're part of an Indigenous community, please check back for details on an offer for your community.


All units obtained and installed through the air conditioner offer for non-profit housing will be the property of the housing provider. The housing provider will be responsible for managing the units. This includes removal and storage in the off-season, seasonal maintenance, and installation in summer seasons.

No. This funding is designed to cover both the cost of the unit and the installation.

We're prioritizing portable and window AC units with this funding. These tend to be more cost-effective and easier to install compared to other cooling solutions, such as heat pumps. This will allow the program to support the greatest number of people.

We don't recommend any specific supplier, product, or brand. However, there are many good and efficient models available on the market. Take a look at our AC products and retailers on our Power Smart Shop for a quality selection.

Housing providers can request a list of suppliers and retailers that sell portable room AC units and may offer discounts on bulk purchases, along with other benefits. To request this list, send an email to

Yes. After your building receives support through this offer, we'll still accept applications for installation of portable AC units from individual tenants living in social housing.

We recommend that housing providers allocate AC units to suites housing people with a high need or heat vulnerability. This includes older adults, young children, those with medical conditions, and others who may have difficulty leaving their unit to access cooling in common areas.

BC Housing is providing funding and support for housing that they manage as well as non-profit housing providers that have agreements with them. You can contact your housing manager to get more information about BC Housing cooling resources and support.

Yes. If you haven't recently participated in ECAP, your building could also be eligible for installation of energy conservation measures funded and installed by us and FortisBC through the program. You can email our program administrator at for more information and to apply for building installation of free ECAP measures.

No. It is up to the housing provider and/or building manager to decide how the units are allocated in a way that best serves the needs of the tenants and the building.