Smart speaker trial
Join the trial
Use your smart speaker (or virtual assistant) to see energy savings. We're looking for participants to join our new trial, to explore how smart speakers can help manage and even reduce your household's energy usage.
To participate in the trial, you'll need to own one of the two most popular smart speakers (from Amazon or Google).
Why should I participate?
If you already own a smart speaker (sometimes known as a virtual assistant), you know that technology can help manage a lot of activities in your daily life, from playing your favourite music to guiding you through your favourite recipe.
We're looking for ways that technology can also help us reduce our energy usage – as well as our energy bills.
During this trial, we're seeking your help to test out ways that a smart speaker can help manage and reduce energy use at home.
How does it work?
When you join the trial, we'll connect your smart speaker to your existing BC Hydro account.
Once you're all set up in the trial, your smart speaker will be able to:
Help you understand your energy usage
- Estimating how your electricity usage breaks down into major categories including heating, cooling, lighting, and appliances.
- Telling you how much energy you're using at various times and when you're using it the most.
- Showing how you compare to other homes similar to yours.
Advise on how you can achieve your energy-saving targets
- Help set a monthly or annual energy budget for your household.
- Provide personalized advice on how you can save energy.
- Track how you're doing and share advice to help you stick to your budget.
Share available rebates/incentives and energy-saving tips
- Deliver personalized recommendations of BC Hydro programs and offers.
- Tell you about upcoming BC Hydro rebates/programs to watch for.
- Provide low/cost and no-cost idea for managing your energy use.
Answer common questions about BC Hydro bills, new connections, moving your account
- Your speaker will be able to answer popular questions about residential customer accounts, common billing questions, electric vehicles, heat pumps, and more.
The trial will last approximately two years.
What do I need to participate?
To participate, you'll need to:
- Already own a smart speaker – either an Amazon Echo or a Google Home
- Live in a home that's mainly heated by electric baseboards or a centrally controlled ducted heat pump
- Live in a home with no occupied rental suites
Please read our terms & conditions [PDF, 332 KB] to learn full eligibility requirements.
If you have any questions about the trial, please call our customer team at 1 800 BCHYDRO (1 800 224 9376).