CaSA wifi-connected peak time conservation trial
Registration is now closed for the winter season
If you're interested in participating in future energy management trials, subscribe to be notified when we're recruiting for a new trial.
How the trial works
Just like when cars are bumper-to-bumper on the highway during a rush hour commute to work, our electricity system experiences peak times as well. These peak times often occur on cold winter nights when everyone turns on their heat, or on hot summer days when air conditioning peaks. With your help, we're hoping to reduce electricity usage during these peak periods. The smart technology of the CaSA thermostat can be used to make only the slightest adjustment to the setpoint to reduce energy usage during peak times, while still keeping you comfortable.
At all times you have full control of your thermostat. If you need to adjust the temperature at any time, you can.
What to expect during a peak time event
We anticipate we will only need to run few events per winter, no more than 15 peak time events in total across a winter season (December to March). A few things you'll want to know about these events:
- You don't need to do anything, it's just a heads up.
- Events will either be in the morning or in the afternoon/evening.
- An event will last 1 hour, 2 hours or 3 hours.
- The system will adjust your thermostat setpoints slightly during the event to save energy usage during the peak time.
- You will still have full control over your thermostat, if you need to adjust the temperature, you can override at any moment.
Earn up to $25 for participating
In return for your participation in the trial, we will pay you $25 per winter season for participation in the peak time events. The trial will run for two winter seasons:
- December 2019 to March 2020
Payments will be made at the end of the winter season.
Taking part in each peak time event is voluntary, if a particular event does not work for you remember, you always have full control of your thermostats. You don't need to participate in all the events to receive the $25 incentive.
During the trial, you'll be asked to complete a short survey about your experience.
Who can qualify
Customers must meet the following criteria:
- You're the named BC Hydro account holder
- You must own at least 2 fully functioning (wifi connected) CaSA thermostats
- The home must be occupied during the Trial
- Homes with tenant space served by the same BC Hydro meter as the participant are not eligible
Registration is now closed and we're not currently accepting applications. If you've already applied, we'll be notifying customers by the end of December if they're a chosen participant.
BC Hydro partnership with CaSA and Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
BC Hydro has an agreement with CaSA and NRCan to recruit participants for this trial and to design, deliver and analyse the Trial. BC Hydro will not share any personally identifiable information with CaSA or NRCan. All data shared will be de-identified.