150 B.C. Places: Gulf Islands & Sunshine Coast
Numbers 109 to 117 on our list of great B.C. places
109. Gibsons Farm Market and Persephone Brewing Company
110. Talewind Books, Sechelt
Offering the perspective that only an independent bookseller can offer, Talewind Books has been a local gem for nearly three decades, offering delightful choices for kids and adults alike, including an intriguing collection of books about food and wine.
111. Francis Point Provincial Park, Madeira Park
Purple starfish and stunning oceanside views make the Francis Point Trail in this Sunshine Coast park a five-star hit on TripAdvisor.
112. Desolation Sound Provincial Park
If you spend much time sailing on the B.C. coast, eventually you make your way to one of the most intriguing spots in the province. A riot of marine life, from sea lions, to dolphins, to hummingbirds, awaits you, which makes Desolation Sound a great spot for kayaking, camping, and scuba diving.
113. Salt Spring Island Cheese Company farm
You can't go wrong with a place that serves up otherworldly cheese, chutneys, and olives on what one visitor described as "a quaint farm filled with surprises." The Salt Spring Cheese Company's cheeses, such as the Ruckles goat milk cheese, aren't just delicious, they're works of art.
114-116. Malaspina Galleries, Drumbeg Provincial Park, Gabriola Island
A short ferry ride from Nanaimo to Gabriola Island and a short drive or cycle on the island gets you to the trailhead for what's known as Malaspina Galleries, an easy hour-long hike to surf- and frost-eroded sandstone formations that look like a frozen wave. Make this part of a day on Gabriola to include Drumbeg Provincial Park and inventive pizza at Woodfire Restaurant & Catering.
117. Halibut burger at The Stand, Pender Island
You're waiting for the ferry and you're hungry. You're in luck – if you have cash – at The Stand, which is basically a shack cranking out menu items led by a near-famous halibut burger and all-day breakfasts.
See our full list of 15 great places in B.C.
- 1-20: Cariboo-Chilcotin & northern B.C.
- 21-25: Haida Gwaii & central coast
- 26-38: Kootenays & southern Rockies
- 39-50: Kamloops, Highway 5 & east
- 51-77: Okanagan-Shuswap
- 78-86: Hope, Highway 1 & 3 east
- 87-108: Vancouver Island
- 109-117: Gulf Islands & Sunshine Coast
- 118-132: Squamish to Lillooet
- 133-150: Greater Vancouver & Lower Mainland