Switch to paperless billing and you could win a $100 gift card to The Home Depot
Cut the clutter and make managing your bill easier this year
We start off a new year with high hopes of making positive change in the year ahead — whether it's going to the gym on a regular basis, getting better organized, or saving money. But by the time February rolls around, that motivation starts to diminish and our resolutions seem to dwindle away.
Don't give up quite yet. We've got an easy resolution that you'll actually be able to keep (no fad diet plan or workout gear required).
Make 2015 the year you move to online, paperless billing
If you're still receiving a paper BC Hydro bill, it's time to make a change, and here's why:
- It will help cut the clutter — Remember your resolution to get more organized? Well for every bill that you switch to paperless, you're likely clearing at least two sheets of paper and an envelope from your desk and to-do pile. Bank statements, credit cards, rent or mortgage statements, groceries, cable or Internet, telephone bills — why not cut back and manage some of these online? For ideas, see these tips for going paperless at home.
Online billing also helps to keep you on track — you'll get a notification when your bill is ready to review, and you can even add an optional reminder to notify you when your bill is due so you'll never miss a payment.
- It will make it easier to manage your budget and look for ways to save — Want to save money and get a better handle on your finances this year? Online bills are available much sooner after the end of your billing period so you'll be able to see your current balance and payment due date earlier, which makes it easier to manage your budget, arrange payments, or check your bill against your pre-authorized or equal payment plan.
You'll also have access to your detailed electricity usage and can see how much electricity you use, down to the hour. By having a better understanding of how you're using electricity, you can then look for ways to reduce your usage and save.
- You could win — Sometimes we need a little incentive to get motivated to make a change. That's why if you make the switch to paperless billing between February 1 and 28, 2015, you could win one of five $100 gift cards to The Home Depot. Learn more.
Sorry we can't help with that gym thing, but here are some other benefits of online billing:
- You'll have the convenience of being able to log in to your account anytime and from anywhere to see your balance, view your current bill, look at a past bill, or view your payment history. That means no more waiting until you're at home with paper in hand. And no more trying to find old copies of bills in your files somewhere.
- You can download and save a PDF of your bill. If you sometimes need to print a copy of your current bill, there's a PDF version available anytime.
- You'll help save trees. If just 25 per cent of BC Hydro customers opt for paperless billing, we'd save 461,000 sheets of paper. That would form a stack about as high as a 15-storey building.
Are you ready to make the switch? Just follow these steps:
- If you already have an online profile and have linked your account, just log in, and select the "Go paperless" button on the left of your account summary to turn off your paper bills.
- If you have an online profile, but haven't linked it to your BC Hydro account yet, or if you haven't created an online profile yet, that's easy to do too. You'll just need a copy of your most recent bill to get started.