Save money with ENERGY STAR - but keep these tips in mind
Energy-wasting office equipment can erase any up-front purchase cost savings
Ask yourself: When it's time for a new computer, printer, water cooler, or lunch room refrigerator... do you always look for the ENERGY STAR® label before you buy?
If you don't, you're missing out on savings. Across your entire office, all that electrical equipment is a constant drain on your bottom line. ENERGY STAR-labeled items meet strict specifications for electrical efficiency, so the symbol helps you quickly identify equipment that costs you less over time.
The lifetime cost of equipment lies much more in its operational cost than its up-front purchase price. Buying efficient equipment reduces your overall cost — and it's worth a few extra dollars up front to achieve better savings over time.
Value of ENERGY STAR rises as use of the device increases
But how much, really, does the ENERGY STAR label save you? The answer: it depends.
"What it comes down to is application," says Greg Morandini, a team lead in Power Smart engineering. "If you buy the ENERGY STAR product, you'll see energy savings. But it still depends on how much you use that equipment."
Morandini says the best way to reduce electricity bills is to pair technology with a change in behaviour. Purchase ENERGY STAR equipment, and engage employees in actively saving energy: turning off equipment at night or when out for lunch, switching off unneeded lights, putting all desk equipment on a power bar so it can be shut down with a single switch.
According to Morandini, ENERGY STAR-labeled equipment can also help save money because improved mechanical efficiency may mean fewer moving parts (less wear and tear), and reduced use of consumables (such as ink for a printer).
How ENERGY STAR compares
An ENERGY STAR inkjet multifunction copier/printer could save as much as 60 per cent compared to a standard model. And you could see 50 per cent savings by selecting an ENERGY STAR water cooler or vending machine for the lunch room.
Take a look at our infographic to see all the ways ENERGY STAR equipment can help you save around the office, and check out the full list below.
Potential savings with ENERGY STAR
- Desktop – up to 32 per cent
- Laptop – up to 31 per cent
- Monitor – up to 21 per cent
- Printer – up to 36 per cent
- Enterprise servers – up to 30 per cent
Small network equipment:
- Modems, routers, switches, optical devices, etc. – up to 20 per cent
Uninterruptible power supplies:
- UPS – 30-55 per cent (depending on the type)
Printers, copiers and imaging equipment:
- Inkjet multifunction device – up to 60 per cent
- Colour laser multifunction device – up to 40 per cent
- Fax machine (inket or laser) – up to 50 per cent
- Laser colour copier – up to 7 per cent
Lunch room or break room:
- Refrigerator – up to 15 per cent
- Dishwasher – up to 10 per cent
- Water coolers – up to 50 per cent
- Vending machines – up to 50 per cent
- Battery chargers – up to 30 per cent
More tips about how to green your business, and save
Find out what Power Smart incentives you're eligible for