We have completed the site preparation for the addition of a relay building in the northern part of the substation. Construction for the relay building will begin around mid-September 2017.
Meeting demand in Burnaby and Coquitlam
To meet the growing demand for electricity in Burnaby, we're upgrading the Barnard substation, located in Burnaby near Gaglardi Way.
There are over 36,000 customers connected to this substation and this upgrade will add infrastructure to support electricity demand in the area for the next 20 years. Our workers will also have safer access to the substation equipment with a better layout on the site and seismic upgrades to the buildings.
Barnard Substation is located at the intersection of Gaglardi Way and Como Lake Avenue to the west of Burquitlam area near the Burnaby and Coquitlam border.
Details of what we're building
- Replace existing relay buildings with a new relay building in the northern 60kV section of the substation.
- Replace old circuit breakers, end-of-life protection, control and metering equipment.
- Construct a new building on south west corner of the building and install indoor insulated switchgear to replace existing aging outdoor feeder section.
- Install underground duct bank connecting to the new feeders and control building.
- Install associated control and telecom equipment.
- Remove existing feeder section after load has been transferred.
We will be removing the old buildings afterwards and restore any ground disturbance. For Phase 2, there will be trenching on the southwest corner of the substation to connect to existing underground distribution lines and to Burnaby city services such as water and sewer. The city has requested BC Hydro also connect to Burnaby drainage to avoid surface water draining into nearby creeks.
Schedule and activities
We are beginning construction September 2017 for the first phase of the project. The work will be done on the northern section of the substation. The civil construction for relay building is scheduled to begin from mid September 2017 and complete around February 2018.
Phase 1 – Circuit Breaker and Relay Building Replacement
|Schedule||Date (subject to change)
|Site preparation||Summer 2017 (completed)|
|Relay building construction||September 2017 – February 2018 (underway)
|Equipment installation and electrical work
||April 2018 – February 2019
|Testing and commissioning||February 2019 – April 2019|
|Phase 1 in-service date||June 2019|
We're still doing more planning for Phase 2 (new switchgear building and associated equipment). The expected timeframe for Phase 2 to start construction is approximately fall 2019 for a completion date of early 2022.