Ruskin: Why it's important
An aging facility needs an upgrade
Built in the 1930s, most of the equipment in the Ruskin Powerhouse is becoming increasingly unreliable. Modern equipment will be more reliable and more efficient.
The facility can also benefit from years of learning about safety and how dams perform under all conditions, including earthquakes.
The upgrade will:
- Make the dam safer and better able to withstand a severe earthquake.
- Increase the reliability and efficiency of the facility.
- Ensure better flow control, water spill prevention, and improved oil containment.
- Create a two-lane road and pedestrian walkway over the dam.
- Restore the heritage façade of the powerhouse building.