Camosun Substation Upgrade Project
Substation requires upgrades for now and the future
Camosun Substation is an integral part of our electricity system that serves the Lower Mainland. Built in the 1960's, some components are reaching end-of-life and need replacement. At the same time, the upgrades are being made to support the growing community at the University of British Columbia's Vancouver campus and to improve safety for our workers that maintain the system.
Activity Update – Site Preparation
We're currently working on preparing the substation property for the upgrade project scheduled to start early next year. Site preparation activities include:
- Removing the fence inside the substation
- Leveling, compacting and laying gravel for a new vehicle access route within the substation property
- Preparing the ground surface for installation of new equipment
- Relocating and expanding the substation entrance off of Camosun Street
- New: Removing existing soil & peat and replacing with compacted soil & gravel (soil replacement) at the northeast corner of the property to reinforce the foundation for the construction of a new building
There will be an increase of large vehicles on the trial between Crown Street and the substation till the end of November 2018 when this work will be finished. We may also work on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. to expedite the soil replacement work.
To ensure your safety and that of our crews, please follow any posted construction signage and the direction provided by on-site crews. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we complete this work.
The substation is located in a residential area beside Pacific Spirit Regional Park and serves over 23,500 homes and businesses west of Blenheim Street.
We'll be expanding the operations of the substation onto the vacant space inside the existing perimeter fence on the west side of the property. The project will include:
- Replacing several old components and adding new equipment including two transformers within the substation fence.
- Constructing a new building on the northeast corner of the substation to house new electrical equipment.
- Replacing two steel structures located along the trail adjacent to the northeast corner of the substation with wood poles.
- Re-routing some above-ground electric connections in and out of the substation.
- Replacing the existing perimeter chain-link fence.
- Adding two new fire hydrants (on the east side of the substation) and an access gate to improve access for fire response.
We're also working with Metro Vancouver Parks and the City of Vancouver to look at how we might be able to improve and realign a section of the trail along the north side of the substation that connects to the Camosun and Top trails.
|Design of substation upgrade
|Vegetation management work begins||June 2018|
|Site preparation and set up for project||July 2018|
|Construction start||Early 2019|
|Project completed||Late 2020|