Camosun Substation Upgrade Project
Substation requires upgrades for now and the future
Camosun Substation is an integral part of our electricity system that serves the Lower Mainland. Built in the 1960's, some components are reaching end-of-life and need replacement. At the same time, the upgrades are being made to support the growing community at the University of British Columbia's Vancouver campus and to improve safety for our workers that maintain the system.
In the last few weeks we've completed some vegetation maintenance work in the trails around the substation. In July we'll be doing additional work in the trails and on the grounds of the substation to create better access into the substation so that we can safely move in equipment and materials for the project.
July 3 to 16
We'll be widening the section of trail between Crown Street and the substation. While we do this work this section of the trail will be closed. Please use an alternate route during construction.
July 16 to 23
We'll be re-aligning the section of trail between the substation and W. King Edward to improve access to the Top & Camosun Trails. The existing trail will be open while we put in the new section of trail.
Please be aware of potential hazards while in the area during this time and please follow the signs and directions of on-site crews during construction.
The substation is located in a residential area beside Pacific Spirit Regional Park and serves over 23,500 homes and businesses west of Blenheim Street.
We'll be expanding the operations of the substation onto the vacant space inside the existing perimeter fence on the west side of the property. The project will include:
- Replacing several old components and adding new equipment including two transformers within the substation fence.
- Constructing a new building on the northeast corner of the substation to house new electrical equipment.
- Replacing two steel structures located along the trail adjacent to the northeast corner of the substation with wood poles.
- Re-routing some above-ground electric connections in and out of the substation.
- Replacing the existing perimeter chain-link fence.
- Adding two new fire hydrants (on the east side of the substation) and an access gate to improve access for fire response.
We're also working with Metro Vancouver Parks and the City of Vancouver to look at how we might be able to improve and realign a section of the trail along the north side of the substation that connects to the Camosun and Top trails.
|Design of substation upgrade
|Vegetation management work begins||June 2018|
|Site preparation and set up for project||July 2018|
|Construction start||Late 2018|
|Project completed||Late 2020|